You wake up one day and your collection is gone... you're starting from scratch. Which yoyos are you picking up first?

Few & Far Inception

Few & Far Elysium

Yoyo Friends Peregrine

Duncan Orbital Gtx

Topyo Silenus

8 Likes

Great Topicā€¦
However this scenario would really suck since my ā€œGo-Toā€ throws reflect my old-school tastes, which means most, if not all of the throws I would want are no longer available or easily found on the used market.
However, here they are:

CLYW Avalanche
YYF Severe
General Yo Torrent
Deady Spins Wrath
CLYW Chief

8 Likes

I couldnā€™t live with only 5 so Iā€™ll go for 10:

Throws I could immediately get:

YYF Shutter JDS - Thanks to the price I wonā€™t feel too bad for dinging it. This would be my casual throw. And it play pretty good.
Asteria Star Trail - Probably my top 1 bi-metal and itā€™s still availableā€¦ Amazing
YYR SkyFish - A super close runner up. Ultimate speed machine
C3 Radius 7068 - My favorite mono metal
Mowl Hybrid - I need to have a plastic yoyo and this would be the one.

Throws Iā€™ll definitely hunt for:

TopYo Twin Drive - Crazily good TiSS. It performs, it satisfies.
Atmos Stormberry - This feels REALLY good in hand.
A-rt Dale - Say less.
A-rt Furn - Fun fun fun fun fun.
Szlab TianYou - Not many (if any) people know about itā€¦ I think only 30 units were made. But It plays like dream to me.

Seems like I did have purchased way too many yoyo than I actually needā€¦ I would be totally fine living with these 10ā€¦

8 Likes

Ernie is making a run of Torrents right now

4 Likes

How does the Sugar High play? Anything unique about it that put it on this list?

2 Likes

Well first off Iā€™d put up some ā€œbuying yoyo collectionsā€ ads up on craigslist to catch the thieves because thereā€™s too many priceless items in there haha

Really though Iā€™d immediately pick up a Panorama and Gopa (both available) and Iā€™d put up a LF thread for a Markmont Classic. That would encompass my 3 favorites which get used daily as well

3 Likes

Nothing ā€˜uniqueā€™.The Sugar High is just a really good Titanium yoyo(I have at least 2 dozen Ti yo-yos).

But the OP asked what to choose if starting from scratch? And the list I posted consists of what immediately came to mind at that moment.

So, I obviously like it even if I canā€™t exactly explain whyšŸ¤”.

Topyo Twindrive is also an excellent yo-yo as you are well aware of alreadyā€¦

6 Likes

Hmmm probably:

Yoyofriends x Damian Pucket Alliance - just so good

G2- Mongoose

G2/A-rt - Life

7 Likes

Metavity ā€” good all rounder. I like the heft for slacky combos, power for long combos, and it just feels right, great for just chilling.

Exia ā€” light and powerful, my absolute favorite all rounder, especially at its price point. I like it better for speed than the Metavity. Also a nice comfortable yo-yo for just chilling.

Edge 2022 ā€” more of the same really, just leaning even more into speedier play(for me anyway). Less chill, but not uncomfortable.

5050 ā€” undersized organics are fun, and I love wide yo-yos.

9 Likes

Well, Iā€™d have a really rough search ahead.

Walter, DRI-YWET, 4mm YWET, Proto Theodore, Theodore, Clean Machine No Jive, Maple Sullivan, Hildy Curriers, Ti End, 2014 Gold Sasquatch, Proto Panorama, Diorama, Panorama, copper plated Parlay, Markmont Project, ti 888, Alleycatā€™s and CoreCo Standard

These are my regular yoyos and the ones Iā€™d immediately start searching for.

7 Likes

I cut mine down to 15 or so (plus a couple beaters I rarely touch) from about 45. It just didnā€™t cover the whole spectrum of yo-yo types I enjoy. Iā€™m at about 24 now and that seems like a pretty good sweet spot for me.

I personally wouldnā€™t aim for a specific number again, that just didnā€™t work for me. Iā€™ll just sell what Iā€™m not throwing, that comes naturally to me anyway. I tend not to want stuff I donā€™t use taking up space in my home, no matter how small.

7 Likes

Nice topic

My picksā€¦

Markmont Classic MO
GOPA

I think these are banger yoyos that are mostly available and Iā€™ve no sentimental attachment to them. They just make me happy to throw them and they suit my play style. The MCMO is a powerhouse organic and the GOPA is light and refreshing.

6 Likes

Who thinks they can last the longest only throwing from their list?

4 Likes
  1. a-rt Furn

2. Chief or pickaxe depending on my mood

3. TMBR thisaway thataway

4. Backup Furn

5. 2nd backup Furn

Alright this is the best i could come up with. Tried to be well rounded

6 Likes

Really, I could probably be happy with a M+, Autoscopy and a Plvs Ultra. I donā€™t really have a desire to throw anything else, even though I occasionally check.

6 Likes
  1. YYR Valkyrie
  2. Bimetal Shutter
  3. Nobu mecha
  4. Topyo Colossus VI
7 Likes

If we are going to take availability into account, Iā€™ll first get myself a Mowl Surveillance and a Mini Star 2 since both are currently available on YoYoExpert. Then Iā€™ll scour the BST for the OPYOYOS Spright.

5 Likes

It took a min because, I had to mentally get past the part about waking up one day with them all gone even the ones no one knows about ouch. So after coming to terms with the loss, these would be the 1st five I would want to restart a throwing collection and very brief reasons.

1. 888.11 ( good in the pocket, not difficult to find not too pricey yet )

2. SuperStar ( v shape, not difficult to find not too pricey yet )

3 Kuntosh ( just a good throw, you can just keep working the Kuntosh it will keep delivering; not so easy to find would be a hunt )

4 Sudo ( I alway come back to this organic it has become a guilty pleasure, I even enjoy the searching and waiting for this one to become available because it never disappoints me, this would be difficult to track down, I would be doing some begging I am sure )

5 CLYW Kodiak ( power it was my first powerful bimetal, I would want it back again )

The week begins have a great week everyone

6 Likes

Literally exactly what Iā€™m thinking.

I cut down to about 20~ at the beginning of this year and felt that was perfect. I achieved that by selling off or giving away whatever I wasnā€™t throwing, or wasnā€™t super rare - I wasnā€™t fixated on a number.

Another thing is, 2 loopers, wood, responsive, 5a, and an unresponsive are like the ā€œbread and butterā€ for most throwers. Thatā€™s already 6-10 yoyos easily which really messes with the number game.

I think the issue for me is that if I tried to cut it down on what I donā€™t play like I did before, it wouldnā€™t go anywhere because my collection is at 28 and everything gets a solid amount of play time through the week.

So I think thatā€™s the reason why I went to numbers, but conversely the reason why I found it impossible to achieve those numbers.

Thanks a bunch! Your input has given me that ā€œah hahā€ moment I needed to figure out my situation.

5 Likes

DR3I :woozy_face:

4 Likes