Yotricks and their worrying decline

Yotricks videos are becoming scarily low in quality compared to a few years ago. There are a lot of reasons that could be the case, but my theory is the problem that started with the whole Tik Tok scene: Non-yoyoers have really weird tastes compared to yoyoers. Or maybe we’re the ones with weird tastes, I don’t know. See, the issue is that Non-yoyoers have these obsessions with tricks like DNA that may look impressive, but really are second nature for a yoyoer with decent skill, and Yotricks has been trying to use this to their advantage, but it means that anyone who knew what their videos used to be like is understandably ticked off. I feel like every video they put out, including reviews now just makes me cringe my head off because you can tell they are pushing so hard toward people with no real knowledge of how yoyoing works so that they will have a larger audience. The point of this forum is for others to post their theories on why this has happened below. For those who read the whole paragraph, congrats lol

7 Likes

I’m assuming you’re just solidly outside the demographics that Yotricks is targeting. Personally I agree with mostly everything you’ve said, but I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad thing. Yotricks plays a pretty important role in the younger community, and if you look at the level of engagement/interaction they get from their community you can see that it’s definitely working. While “losing” (is it really a loss?) them hurts, there’s plenty of dedicated and more in depth yoyo content that’s also really good. I view it as a net gain, besides they’ll all grow up someday and we’ve picked up some truly gifted younger throwers in the past few years.

15 Likes

Yotricks has always been the avenue for newer throwers to get into the hobby. They are just doing what they feel interests a newer thrower.
These are just things that can get a person hooked on the hobby. Get interested enough to start actually learning and then learn the same tricks you and I learnt off of yotricks

16 Likes

I got hooked on yo after learning their first 50 and then some and then found out about all the other channels of content creators and haven’t really gone back. They have the perfect name to monopolize the algo like their stuff always pops up first if I’m searching, even if whatever I’m looking for isn’t related at all.

4 Likes

Hey there I got into yo-yo ing a year ago. I used to yoyo when I was a kid a long time ago, (I am 36 years old now).

I started learning through their app and I keep using it. You are right about their recent content but I think that you can still find a challenging trick to master in the app.

If not, there are a lot of content creators that you can follow.

The bottom line is, that if you are a completionist, you should have a lot of tricks to tick of in their app. If you want something new, I would suggest Diego B, the throw lab channel, Nate Martsolf or yoyojoe.

Also, from a business point of view, I understand that is easier to attract / impress a new customer who wants to buy their first plastic, beginner yoyo, than to convince an experienced player that knows more than 150 tricks and already has 4,5,6 or even more yo-yos already to buy another one. It makes sense to focus on easier, simpler tricks for new audiences.
Sorry for the long text!

5 Likes

Hey I’m just happy they are doing some 0A stuff. Also yo tricks was one of the first sources I found when getting back into yoyo and discovering 1A stuff. Similarly I went there first when I wanted to learn off string.

10 Likes

I think it’s all come down to preference really like they do have really hard tricks up there too. I think personally I get too caught up on what they say and for me some of those tuts make it too easy to ignore the stuff they don’t say. I def checked them out for starting 2a and 4a and they were my gateway to Yoyo so bless them and I get what op means about the nature of their new stuff

4 Likes

Thanks for all the replies! for my first post here, I never thought that I would have this many replies so fast! I just wanted to mention the fact that I have been a fan of Yotricks for a long time, and this forum isn’t to hate on them. It’s just for people who have noticed how fast their content has changed, and how the way it is changing might not nessacarily be a good thing.

5 Likes

I also have gotten into since being out for a long time. Yo tricks has been great for learning basics and going through the first 50 tricks. I feel like it makes you learn fundamentals before just jumping into other stuff, but I could be wrong. It is useful having the app and all the videos readily available.

7 Likes

Just a few edits I wanted to make:

1. By saying that they are targeting non-yoyoers, I meant literally people who aren’t interested in getting into yoyoing. Their new videos seem to be targeting people who just watch them casually, further reinforced by them starting to get into youtube shorts and stuff like that. This does give them more views and I’m happy to see the success of their efforts, but it also is kind of sad that they haven’t gone back to the types of tricks that are interesting to learn in a while (The last one I recall was Fury Cake, and even it wasn’t nearly as fun to learn as some of their older content).
  2. I understand completely why it’s tempting to go towards this sort of content. Look at the many MANY other yoyo content creators who have attempted to use shorts, Tik Tok and other styles of platforms like that for greater success. The problem is that this type of fake content where they try to change the way they come off isn’t as enjoyable or useful because you can tell they’re not passionate and are just doing what will get them more views. Gentry, Angelo, and even at one point Yoyojoe have all succumbed to this at one point, but in my opinion, it actually somewhat degrades the quality of the videos. If these creators just tried being themselves, they might see an initial drop in video performance, but eventually, it would result in them having a better name for themself, which in turn is likely to make them more money anyway.

Enjoy the thread even though it’s probably died down for now, I might post another post tomorrow, possibly on the situation with Yoyojoes sig which I think more people need to know about. Good night to anyone else from US/Canada!

6 Likes

Ya do this spill the tea…I hope he’s still wishing people a wonderful day or w/e that’s endearing.

1 Like

I’ve never had any interest in grinding through dozens of basics for its own sake, but when I do need to learn some classic fundamental, yotricks is my first and usually only necessary stop. Id guess that anyone who is wowed by DNA and goes on to find that they want to learn more will have the same experience.

4 Likes

I’m still a fan of yotricks. At the end of the day they are a business and they want to sell as many yo-yos to as many people as possible. They have an enormous backlog of tutorials to learn so I really don’t have a problem with their shorts and whatever else.

I started using the Skill Addicts app a couple weeks ago and I think I like it a bit more. It takes the “game” element of the yotricks app but makes it so you can redeem points for tangible rewards. Plus new tutorials from current pros. It’s interesting to say the least.

Now, I really don’t understand the hate TikTok gets in this community. All of the huge TikTok yoyo players are trying to sell yo-yos. This is marketing. Think of every post as a commercial for a product, because at the core of it, that’s all it is. Not even just on TikTok, every trick circle, every photo of a yo-yo, every tutorial is an advertisement.

7 Likes

I’m guessing you don’t want me to discuss it, already got a message abt that, pls keep requests for me not to discuss something that really should be discussed on DM’s, please.

1 Like

Ooo no I was being sincere I want to know and was genuinely curious and have no idea what happened sorry everyone if this was insensitive or if something happened I don’t know

1 Like

Yoyojoe has a video explaining the situation. Basically the YYF Halo was meant for him but they rushed production before he signed off on a final prototype, he wasn’t pleased, yyf and him parted ways, the Halo is now Angelo’s yo-yo.

6 Likes

Oooo I’m kinda dumb af sometimes and thought you meant the signature hello of “hi hope everyone’s having a good day!”

Lolol something with a signature Yoyo makes so much more sense thanks @Fun_Dad69 for spilling the tea tho I ain’t trying to watch a vid about this

1 Like

The yoyojoe thing has been documented already, as has yyfben’s response if you dig enough on the forums here, just so people don’t start debating settled drama again

3 Likes

Yea it was pretty much just an explanation of why he’d been inactive for a while. College and yo-yo drama.

1 Like

I just wanted to say I will NOT be doing the planned post on the drama. I actually didn’t know until now that Yoyofactory had already responded to this whole mess, and seeing the convo myself makes me a lot closer to neutral now. I still think making the yoyo Angelo’s was the wrong thing to do, but I don’t think it would be worth talking about seeing as there is already both sides pov, which I think is now enough for people to make their own opinions on the whole issue. I will link both povs below.

Yoyojoes original vid that started the drama: YoYoJoe, where have you been? - YouTube

Yyf’s screenshots of the conversation: YYF Halo opinions? - #10 by Hanker

Thank you for understanding and being kind despite my not being fully informed. I will look harder into things I consider making forums about next time.

3 Likes