Yomega Raider not responsive

Hi all. A problem I have encountered over the past few days is that my raider has become very slow to grab and return. A sreious problem when looping. I have lubed the bearing with a drop of 3 in 1 oil though i did not remove the shield and replaced string. Is there anything else i am missing? I have had this happen a few times but a drop of lube has always done the trick.

odd. try removing the shields and adding the lube. what kind of string are you using?
If it’s an old enough raider, it’s possible that the star burst are wearing out, but that’s not too likely.

Try to lube the axle instead

Make sure you use new string, if The starbust is wearing, then use Cotton string. Lube THE bearing, you can use a big drop or two instead of using a tiny amount (like thin lube). You can also try lubing the axle, but it’s better if you lube the bearing de shielded. Also try some tighter spacers.

is this a modded raider or a stock one?

Its stock and only about 3 months old. Lubing the axel got a little better. I am going to try to de shield.

Yes, lube the bearing and the axle as noted. Lubing w/the shields on is a wasted effort mostly. To de-shield it, just pry them out and discard. I’ve never been able to find a C ring on yomega bearings.

An alternative to oil, once you have the shields off is a light grease. That’s what I use on mine.

that happened to mine, too. still couldn’t fix it. i have the wrong spacers though.

What are the “wrong spacers” and why do you have them?

I had the same problem…fixed it

you could de-shield it and then put Vasoline LIP TREATMENT.its a small container and only costs a couple of bucks.
Also i threw some v4m lube into a diferent raider with the same problem, used low tension polyester string and verry slightly over cranked it.

The raider seems to ecounter this problem quite often. I have used 3 different raiders and the all had the same problem. just play around with it and see what works. be carfull when tightening it though because the plastic likes to crack:0

Also one (not too worn) duncan sticker works nice too.

You can try Brain Lube. That’s what JHb used or uses.

The spacers are one from the raider, and one from a hyperwarp wing because i lost one raider spacer, so the gap’s a bit wide.

That’s A Strange Mix ;). You could always buy a pair.

Can’t for the life of me figure out how to pry off the shields on mine. Gave up.

Is there no C-Clip?

No, as mentioned by Jhb earlier in the thread, “To de-shield it, just pry them out and discard. I’ve never been able to find a C ring on yomega bearings.”

But I can’t even figure out how to pry them out. I don’t have anything both thin and strong enough to wedge in there and successfully pry. Straight pin isn’t doing it.

Ummm, just an FYI, the bearing seat/spacers are the same on a raider and a HWW. :wink:

A pin or an x-acto blade under any edge should do it. A small screw driver will work to. Most anything that can get under an edge.

yes there IS a c-clip in the bearing that is how I deshielded mine. i would recomend using a box-cutter razor. If you look closly and in good lighting you should find a verry small indentation in bothe sides of the bearing, this is the space between two ends of a c-clip. it should/will be on the verry,verry inside edge of the outer surface. it could also be slightly underneath that edge

Raider is naturally has too wide gap for looping since it was designed to be an all rounder. If you want it to loop better, get raider plastic spacers and sand it very little bit, just so it can sleep, no need to crank. Stock plastic spacers bites the string since it’s really “tall” so you’ll have to sand the lips a bit.
For short strings however it’s better to crank the gap. NEVER CRANK THE GAP WHEN IT HAS METAL SPACERS IN IT!