Yo-yos Used in Contests?

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if there was anywhere you could go and find the different throws used in bigger contests? I always find myself wondering what the person was throwing when watching a contest routine but I noticed the video descriptions rarely ever have that info.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think that would be a wonderful database to have available for observing trends and stuff. But I don’t think anything really comprehensive exists anywhere, does it?

4 Likes

Look at the results on the website of the host that hosted the yoyo contest. In the results where you can see how the judges judged there is sometimes also included which yoyo has been used in the performance.
https://owyyc.com/results/
The online world yoyo contest for example did it. But not many contests include this information.

If you really want to know just reach out to the yoyo player on social media! Most use Instagram and I’m sure they will be delighted when someone reaches out to them to ask what model they used in their performance. I would see it as a compliment if someone is so interested in my performance they ask me what yoyo I used.

9 Likes

This is the best website I’ve found so far so thank you! We tend to know what the bigger names are throwing because it’s usually their signature model. But I’m also curious as to what everyone else is too ya know? It just seems like the options are endless nowadays

Sponsorship obligations typically “limit” the choices of top players. And while that doesn’t necessarily hinder their competition performance, it does mean we don’t really know what they’d play if they could choose any yoyo they wanted.

6 Likes

Great point, I’ve always wondered if someone like Gentry ever got tired of the Shutters or competing with them

I’m looking forward to seeing Gentry win a major event with a bi-metal Shutter of some kind. Given all the praise the Shutter EVO gets showered with, I fully expect him to use it going forward. But I’ve not heard that he’s made any such commitment yet.

3 Likes

Any update on contests? Was happy to see the Chesapeake Classic and Nationals back to being in person again this last year or so

The Shutter EVO is so good that I feel like using it in a competition would almost be cheating, haha. It honestly doesn’t even feel like a yoyo to me. It’s like… futuristic, super high performance spinning tech lmao

1 Like

says who?

YoYoFactory has never limited what players use. Before we had competition performance yoyos our team won contests on whatever they wanted. To this day they can use what they want. We have a player competing this weekend using a non-yoyofactory yoyo. Its not a huge deal. While we offer a lot, we don’t offer yoyos to suit EVER specific style or need.

You don’t think Gentry chose his own yo-yos to win Worlds on or Evan for Nationals? They literally have every resource available to them and chose the yo-yos they choose.

While EVO is great, I could easily make an argument an extreme rim weighted yo-yo doesn’t fit Gentrys style for competition and he would be much better served with a wangle or regular shutter

15 Likes

I’d be shocked if 90+% of sponsored players don’t feel a strong degree of obligation to compete with one of their sponsor’s yoyo models. It doesn’t have to derive from a decree from the company; it is usually sufficient to be deeply ingrained in the culture.

2 Likes

I personally would feel obligated to use a throw from the company I was sponsored by. To me it’s almost like an unwritten code. This company chose to invest in me and personally came to me with the offer of representing them, so now I’m going to make sure I’m the best representative of that company I can be and that starts with simply using their products, especially on stage. To each their own as always though. If everyone agreed with everyone else’s opinions on here it would be like a forum full of bots. And I do think it’s really cool that YYF gives its player’s that option and those personal freedoms for the record!

7 Likes

I wouldnt be suprised to see Gentry not really competing as much as he use to… he has turned into the face of YYF. And if he stops competing now he goes out on top… but idk Evan came back and corona threw a wrench in everything for comps

1 Like

I agree here big time. Back when i was sponsored, i didn’t even think about using a yoyo outside of the company during a freestyle or even filming videos. I don’t remember being told i couldn’t, but it just would not feel right to me.

4 Likes

This is how I’d personally feel too. It’s absolutely okay to have your own personal collection as I’m sure every pro/sponsored player does. But when it comes time to promote and compete I’d be using my company’s product no doubt. Again it’s all opinion but to me its also a respect thing too. The company that has sponsored you has invested in you personally. They probably ship you free/discounted throws, merch etc so that you can spread the word about their product and help it sell and gain a reputation within the community. It’s that “unwritten code” I mentioned

1 Like

At the National yo-yo museum in Chico they have a case of yo-yos used to win the National title.

2 Likes

I had the same thought as the OP. I just figured I didn’t know where to look.

My thought why equipment may not be documented at contests is the lack of standards in Yo-Yoing.

What I mean by that is there are no technical specs that need to be verified to see if equipment is legit. I guess it avoids controversy that someone used pine tar, improperly inflated, or weighted throws. Therefore no reason for contest host to ID equipment.

Maybe players should proudly hold up their winning throw while sipping a Monster Energy Drink during Post Victory interviews.

3 Likes
  1. I really hope Gentry competes again. I can’t see why he wouldn’t. We all realize he’s got a ton of other stuff going on but yo-yo is reason he’s got this stuff.
  2. I really hope he chooses EVO. I always thought this about OG Butter but then comps went away for a while. I agree EVO is something special and different and I get it, his style might call for Wangle. He would have to really get used to the new play feel of EVO.

PS. I still think Butter is my fav. While the EVO seems to outperform, Butter just fits my style. It can be so laid back but pushed hard if you choose! What ever you prefer, it just plays!!

I think it makes a ton of sense for sponsors to let players use whatever they want. If I was a sponsor, I’d want my player to put on the best show possible.

I would want them to wear shirts with my logo and hand out my stickers and generally promote my company, but I’d rather have them win with another company’s throw than place poorly because I prohibited them from using their ideal yoyo.

If anyone does compile a list of throws used by particular players, maybe post it in a thread here! It would be a useful reference, kinda like the “which yoyos use what axle” thread.

Ivan

1 Like

I agree with Marco, The OYYC/more recent events have included the players weapons of choice and even parts/string and if you are wondering about a certain player, hit them up! If not, I can try to find out for you since I have a few friends in the community LOL!

Also overall would be dope to have some kind of database with all the stats of everyone in the history. Back in the day there was this data base, but it seems to not be working atm :frowning:

http://www.worldyoyocontest.com/results_db/

3 Likes