Yo-yoing Pronunciation Questions

Sarcasm² was lost on you, no need to call me names. Im actually going to call the brand G alt-0178 for now on.

Im getting tired of American self-hate. The double standard of thinking most Americans are ignorant because they don’t understand subtle social nuances in cultures halfway across the world is incredibly unfair. Ive met ignorant people in other countries just as much as I meet them in ours, but no other country views themselves in such a toxic self-righteous (because you obviously arent the “average” American) way as Americans do.

What zslane was trying to do was elucidate how we would say a foreign word in our own language, and that people should not be expected to pick up a different dialect when pronouncing words. He wasn’t even trying to begrudge Americans like you assumed he was.

I also sincerely doubt people in “other countries” try as hard as you claim. People of all cultures typically maintain their accent in conversation. If anything, faux accents are laughed at rather than applauded.

4 Likes

There is truth that Americans are generally ignorant of world geography though. And expect everyone else to know English.

The concept being, USA is the primary dominant superpower in the world (and also kinda culturally), so why even do we need to even look at or learn about other countries?

2 Likes

You don’t get out much; do you…

The only assuming and misunderstanding; began the moment before you started your reply.

2 Likes

Wow, ouch. Ive been to 4 European countries, and each time I met people who were cultured and country folk who rarely encountered commoners alike. Every time I went outside of city borders, I encountered “locals” who were offensive and automatically withdrew from people who spoke different languages/were American like myself and the people with which I traveled with. Some were nice, some werent. No different than a random sampling of people in the US. Sorry if you think im ignorant, but you are the one who sounds like they never left their bubble.

1 Like

Feel better now?

3 Likes

The United States of Amnesia

Different: I thought CLYW stood for Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works. But there was a legal issue with their name and now simply was “CLYW”. Now I see CLYW laballing: Caribou Lodge again. Was I wrong or did something change and now use Caribou Lodge again?

1 Like

Nope, now I have a hangover.

3 Likes

On a mostly related note, (yoyo company abbreviations) I find it funny how YoYoFactory, YoYoFreaks, and YoYoFriends all are abbreviated as YYF, and you can’t even use YYFr! YoYoJam and YoYoJoker are in the same boat.

3 Likes

I’d never abbreviate yoyofreaks or yoyofriends as YYF. YYF means YYF. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve seen it all three ways though, so other people do…What would you abbreviate YoYoFreaks and YoYoFriends as?

Always thought Werrd was pronounced weird and not word. In my head, a weird minute sounds better than a word minute.

2 Likes

I’m having a strange moment of deja vu. I think i’ve mentioned this either here or on a different thread, or dreamt i did.
But whenever i see CLYW i always think of the Orangutan. Totally unrelated to the topic, but thought i’d share.

1 Like

Don’t forget YYF (YoyoFormula)

1 Like

Hmm… I’m not even familiar with that one.

Freak Return Tops and Friend Return Tops