Yo-yo vs return top .CA

But even tho patent laws don’t apply to manufacturing in other countries they still cannot be sold within the country that the patent exists. For example you can buy a MYY with a KK bearing if it’s being shipped from China, but if you are buying it from any reputable US store it will be swapped for a flat bearing.
And as far as the bimetal goes, there are a lot of companies making them now. Which either means YYJ is fine with licensing out the patent, or they have just been turning a blind eye to it and allowing other companies to use it and allowing yoyos to evolve with the use of bimetal. In my opinion it’s not like the use of two different metals brings some type of extra function to the yoyo like hubstacks or KK bearings, so it being applicable for a patent in the first place seems a little strange to me personally.

Have you ever tried a bimetal ?

I actually have not

Lets take a fictional yoyo called the dwophnier, the designer decided to do a full metal yoyo that weight 63 gram yoyo so it plays fast, but in playtest they notice that its not stable and only spin for 3-4 minutes so they decide to put less thickness and maybe reduce a few mm to get the weight to 60 g and put a space to put a ring of a heavier material that when is on the yoyo it is back to weighting 63 gram, it makes that all the weight is on the rims, so it spin WAY longer and is way more stable while keeping the fastness of a light yoyo

I understand what you are saying completely. And without a doubt if executed properly added weight rings can increase the Performance of a yoyo. But I still stand by my point that it does not add any extra Function to a yoyo.It still does all the things that a yoyo would otherwise do, just better

haha lets be realistic here… if you cant sue successfully over the use of ‘yoyo’ in the usa, and the companies that tried went out of business/ were bought out. you think its going to fly in canada?

the y in clyw stand for yoyo. nobody ‘seems’ to take yoyo patents seriously.

i bet the clyw guys use ‘return top’ just to be different.

Wow, I wish somebody made a yoyo like that.  The name Dwophnier would have to be changed to make it easier to pronounce.  The DW sound is somewhat awkward, so we could change that to a DR.  It’s the same with the PHN, so we’ll remove the H and change it to PN.  The IE hiatus (Vowel hiatus - Wikipedia) is liable too cause stumbling when spoken quickly, so we will remove one of the vowels.  We will remove E because it is the most common letter in English, and we want to be original.  The O in the middle makes it sound comical, so we shall change that to an AU to produce the same sound, but cause a better visual effect when typed.

Put it all together and you get Draupnir.  Oh, rats, somebody used that name already.

OK, let’s define what we mean by bimetal or bi-metal before we get into the merits of who has a patent on this.

Btw that’s not the only reason Duncan had to sell. Duncan borrowed a access of money to supply the U.S. yoyo craze of their day. And once that craze died down they could not sell enough to pay back their loans and were forced into bankruptcy
And if you read the whole thread you would have seen that CLYW was forced to abreviate their name, the same is ture for SPYY. And CLYW defaintly is not differnt by using “return-top” considering every Canadian company uses it. Do me a favor and read the whole thread before further commenting

Would anyone be appalled if an American company used Return Top in its name?

" Wacky Spinning Retractable String Toy"

haha. i try to back you up one time and you decide to **** on me. dont worry mr. MOODY i wont make that mistake again. ill just agree with greg then, nobody cares.

John you forseen this.
I shall never doubt you again good sir.

Arguing Americans

2 Likes

Haha!

SPYY… CLYW…

The word yoyo cant be used in Canada by anyone other than the trademark holder. The noted acronym and initialism were once referred to by their full names. They both began using just the letters some years ago. I can’t speak to the legality as to why… though they both began at roughly the same time.

Didn’t answer my question at all…

But thanks for trying.

yeah iknow they came back to the future and stole my idea to do it in the past and put a name prononcable in english (dwophnier is pronounce in french duofnyeah) i should have patented before yoyo jam,thank you albert for creating a time machine, oh but thats just an extinct parralel universe.

Also did you guys know that a drauphnir is a monster of the grec mythology ? Yeah another time machine storry because of the powerfullness of my parralel univers design

Its a complicated subject.
There was a copyright on the term “Yo-Yo” in Canada, so return tops were born.
But there is some speculation on the claim to the term.
so…