Yo-Yo Doodler v0.01

Hey guys :grin:
I have been learning a bit of front-end web dev on the side and thought about a cool little side-project to practice: A Yo-Yo Doodler.

It’s a very simple web app that allows you to draw a profile over a bearing, and see what it would look like as a full yoyo.

Obviously the intention is not to use as a professional tool, but just to allow people to have a bit of fun, or to have a simple tool to draft design ideas on any device with a web browser.
To be honest I don’t even know if there is a real interest for something like this but thought I’d share anyway :slight_smile:

-> You can try the v0.01 at this LINK

See a screenshot below:

These are a couple features I’d like to add in the future:

• Add response pad groove to the template
  • A function that will automatically “fill” the x-ray, to only show you the shape
  • The ability to draw colors over the “filled” result, (allowing you to make your own custom colorway)
  • An option to export/import designs (probably will be done as copy pasting a really long string of text) and allowing people to share a modifiable design with others
  • when creating the yoyo, displays some stats such as approximate Diameter/Width
  • more…

If you like it, I’ll make sure to update this thread for each new version.
Any advice and feedback is super welcome :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Is this meant for handheld devices or computers?

3 Likes

Both :slight_smile:
But I have to say it’s difficult to draw on smartphones because of the finger hiding the screen.

Also in this version, on mobile the display of the yoyo has some display bugs (thin white lines) that I need to fix.

I found current version works best on my iPad(works surprisingly well with the Apple Pen) or Computer.

2 Likes

You could make the line draw a 1/2- 1 inch higher than your finger so you could see it. Just an idea.

1 Like

Good idea!
The fix for this will either be make the pointer higher as you said, or an easier alternative for me would be to make the pointer follow the finger with a bit of a delay, allowing the user to change it’s course as if they were pulling it with a small rope, if that makes sense.

1 Like

Thanks!

2 Likes

CAD had a kid?

2 Likes

I tried to make the Diffraction!

And a round yoyo with a star!

This is cool and fun.

7 Likes

i hope my Machinist isn’t too mad. :joy:

yoyo design

7 Likes

Wow! Your yoyo designed skills managed to make this web app actually look half-legit! :smiley:
So awesome to see what you guys try on it!

Lol now that looks more like the stuff I also draw on it :joy:

3 Likes

Recommendation: if this became legit, you could add a little pop up the tells you the dimensions. I forgot my other one lol.

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!

I see what you mean, I could technically do that by looking for the first drawn pixel starting from the top left and get an approximate diameter/width. I’ll add it to the todo list! :smiley:

4 Likes

Another idea, have the response pad groove already there.

2 Likes

Good idea, that’ll be included in v0.02 for sure

2 Likes

Popstar + umbra! (+bimetal)

5 Likes

thx so much! i think ive created my dream yoyo!

9 Likes

7 Likes