Yo Yo Classes

Hey Guys,

I have been approached by the school in town here about coming to community days and teaching a yoyo class for roughly 1 hour to a group of 9-12 year old’s. Also I am planning on teaching a skill (so 1 hour blocks for 6 days) out at the Bible Camp in the area this summer (same age group). And I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions for teaching this age (e.g. preferred yoyo, trick progression, keeping fingers from getting too sore, keeping kids engaged etc.)

Currently I am planning on teaching them… about yoyoing, brief history and how it works, followed by the throw, sleeper, spank the baby, walk the dog, and if they are progressing fast rock the baby, elevator.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Start with tricks like sleeper and go up to suicide and stuff

I’ve been asked to do the same thing, but my life is a bit “over complicated due to persistent inconsiderations of others imposed upon me”, so having any sort of normalcy is out of the question for me.

Honestly, kids don’t want to hear about history, even though it’s important. They want yoyos and they want tricks immediately. Just show them some awesome stuff, then break it back down to their level. Bring cheap responsive yoyos and get them started on the basics. Let them progress at their own pace.

nice one, suicide in bible camp ^^

seriously, I teach some stuff to kids this age, in 1 hour you can really teach much

• throw (front)/sleeper
  • eifel tower, rock the baby
  • frontstyle bind (if you use unresponsive yoyos)
  • brain twister

the for the most talented you can do a few sidestyle stuff

• trapeze
  • brother
  • from brother, basic green triangle
  • either 1&1/2 mount and buddha’s revenge, either double or nothing and matrix

but it’s important to know how you’re going to teach them, chose your words so it’s as easy as possible to understand.

it’s not because you can do something that you can teach it, so think it through beforehand and make sure you are actually able to explain a trick to a young child

but it’s important to know how you’re going to teach them, chose your words so it’s as easy as possible to understand.
[/quote]
Good point. I have taught how to throw before, but only to individual kids never a group setting. I will have to think through common explanations as it will not be as easy to tailor to the kid.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Good point. I have taught how to throw before, but only to individual kids never a group setting. I will have to think through common explanations as it will not be as easy to tailor to the kid.

Thanks for the thoughts.
[/quote]
Just do the group lesson thing. Everyone does the same thing all at once(more or less).

Organization and control are key. Have a lesson plan, even if it’s super simple. Build in extra stuff in case things go well but be prepared to cut it. You can always save it for next time.

I’d start with:

How to string
Making a slipknot
How to hold
Throwdown
Sleeper
Walk the Dog
Jamaican Flag
Forward Pass
Around the World
Eiffel Tower
Skyrocket (depending on venue, could be dangerous, but is a great “fun” trick)
Breakaway

From there:

Trapeze
Reverse Trapeze
Braintwister
Double or Nothing.

Should be plenty to keep them busy for a while…

1 Like

Lol, ask the kids to suicide XD

I’ve done short lessons before when I was working in a toy store. Start with the basic how to hold it, how to throw down and get it back to you. From there depending I’d usually try Eiffel Tower and Rock the Baby (which they can try with a dead yoyo) and forward pass. Maybe Brain Twister after that depending on the age/skill level/interest of the kid.

I work with this age group everyday as a teacher and I run a yoyo club that now meets 4 days a week for 25 mins. Like frodoslair said, TEACH THEM THE SLIP KNOT. If I had a dollar for every yoyo that went skittering across my floor, I wouldn’t have to teach another day. And have a ton of paper clips lying around. They’re great for loosening knots around the bearing without having to unscrew the yoyo. Or start with the yoyos disassembled on a table, and put them together as a group. Then the kids know all the parts inside and are less likely to lose a piece. Either way, just have fun with it. Good luck!

Just wanted to give you guys an update how it went. It was a huge success the kids loved it. In fact we are now trying to start up a yoyo club in our little town and already have almost 10 throwers interested. So that is exciting. Any tips tricks to running a successful club? lol

Make sure they learn Ladder Escape. :slight_smile:
All jokes aside, make sure they learn something and have fun. Maybe you could have 1-on-1 practice sessions with the students, and letting the others practice independently. Bring extra stuff like string, because accidents happen.
Hope it goes well. :slight_smile: