Need advice for teaching yoyo

I am doing a yoyo demo at my local toy store where I will teach people how to yoyo. I bought 4 YYJ classics that people can use (not keep). Does anyone have any advice on teaching people to yoyo?

Start with the basics, teach them how to throw a yoyo properly and how to wind it up, then gravity pull, (Maybe dog bite) then walk the dog (on carpet), rock the baby, trapeze/flying trapeze, then at that point I’d mod the yoyo so it is unresponsive and teach them bind and go from there in my opinion at least (I’ve taught 2 yoyo classes before)

IG: j_yo_nah

1 Like

There was one night at a yoyo club I used to attend (was actually the last night that club even ran) where it was basically me and 1 other skilled person that helped a bunch of kids who just bought yoyos. We started them off with the bare bones basics showing them proper string length, how to work the slip knot and finally how to do the proper throw. I think the hardest part to explain to a young one is the idea of which way the string’s supposed to be (so that the yoyo rolls off your hand properly). Within a half hour or so the kids were pulling off basic sleepers.

Once they can do the sleeper and can catch the yoyo, I would also show them how to walk the dog (plastic on a tile floor should be ok) and rock the baby. Just give them a few front style tricks before you introduce them to a side throw (we tried showing them a side throw, one kid somewhat got it but that was about it.

1 Like

For a beginner breakaway, you could have them turn their whole body… Turn 90 degrees throw a normal front throw and turn back 90 degrees. It’d probably be easier for them to land a first trapeze that way.

1 Like