Would you still be yoyoing if YYE didn't exist?

The answer to that is yes. The major stores/forums all had loyal followers and contributed to the community in many ways. YYE is following a fine tradition and improving on it.

(Chimera played a major part of one of these.)

I agree with this, as the major difference. They already improved on it. Everything is bigger, and better. Selling more yo-yo variety, more volume, sponsoring more stuff, more charitable contributions and the list goes on. That sets it apart for me, and makes it that much more fun and special.

It can’t set anything apart if you weren’t there to see what you’re claiming isn’t as good.

You just said you started playing after YYE was around, what gives you the right to ‘set it apart’ from everything you missed? You’re clueless as to what other stores were doing prior.

1 Like

I’m fairly sure the former stores/forums would be similar and giving YYE a run for the money if they were still functioning. That you came along after they were gone in no way detracts form what they accomplished. Two of them had an enormous stock of great variety (one still does), one sponsored Worlds, the list goes on…

They were great places at the time and would be still under different circumstances.

1 Like

I split off some posts that were going in a negative direction.

I will start this by saying I think we can all agree that there have been a lot of good people in yo-yoing that have built a lot of good places to ‘be’ a yo-yo player in a world where most people do not understand what that even is.

I personally was part of and promoted many of the other communities via many of the forums/stores/websites that were referenced in this thread. They were great places run by great people. But times have changed a lot and to try and compare ‘what’ the internet was five years ago to what it is now is impossible. Social Media, Websites, Forums have all evolved.

So rather than trying to tell people what they know or don’t know let’s appreciate the fact that we do have an amazing community of people here. I am really excited for our forum community this year in particular and we are working hard behind the scenes to plan some fun ways to make it even better.

I realize we can’t fill the hole in many people’s hearts of a community they were part of that has disappeared. Our goal is to build a fun place for discussion with positive posts about something we all love to do. If anyone wants to share specific thoughts on things they miss from the past I welcome it too.

7 Likes

Yes I yoyoed for 18 years before I knew about the online community. The community is a nice add too yoyoing, but has nothing too do with, why I throw.

I would still be yoyoing but I would be very confused. I just started yoyoing recently and had no idea how to fix a yoyo or what made them play so well. But yye has had a lot of good information