Worlds Rules Changes

I took a look at the link Q posted up, but it looks like they are not interested in entertaining any complaints (and it says so right on the contact page). So, it seems all of this is moot. I think that anyone who has an issue with it, who competes at the world level, can open up a dialogue with the committee sometime later. Well, that’s if they are really interested in a rule change for the future.

I have to agree that, to compete at that level, lots of people have to make style adjustments to try to win the contest at that level. So, it’s not just the moebius players that have to make adjustments to win under these new rules. And, all players have been given notice ahead of time, so they can come up with a freestyle, within the rules, where all their tricks can be scored.

Perhaps the rule was made to allow moebius room to grow further, and not to stunt any creative growth. Maybe the committee thinks highly enough of the style, that it’s time to leave the nest. For example, those who really want to see moebius grow should use it more, grow it, popularize it, and start a movement that will allow for a separate division in the future. Also, they may want to streamline the 1A division and have it better defined, and that seems efficient for the judging aspect of things. I think that moebius being excluded from scoring is a sign that it’s growing, maybe not a a lot, but just enough that they fear someone out there might compete in 1A with a practically entire moebius routine. If you imagine things in the extreme, I can see why they might not want that in the 1A division. I don’t know how many moebius tricks currently exist though, and if that is even possible at this stage (fill me in, I don’t follow moebius). If so, I think it was a good move to exclude it from scoring.

If what Yossarian stated about the history of scoring 4A and 5A tricks (within 1A) is true, this might actually be a good sign for that style of play. I think that we could look at this in a more positive light.

2 Likes

What about the open division?

People can still innovate. We’re not stopping Zammy from making videos and there is still plenty of innovation left in pure 1A. The amount of things you can do with a length of string attached to your finger is practically endless.

1A should be for just 1A tricks. Mobius is not 1A so it doesn’t belong. Simple.
Good on the judges for putting their foot down.

As I stated above not all contest have an Open division so then I think the players should be allowed to compete in 1A because they have no other division to compete in. But it would be best if Mobius grew enough to just get there own division. ’

PS

I’m going to be gone until friday leaving today so I’ll be out of this discusssion so if you wsk me something don’t expect an answer

Well I would take one of two stances then.
One I would play too the rules and try for the win, in which case I would tie a yoyo too my hand and do horizontal, and all that other stuff that scores high, or enter 5a and have the yoyo and counterweight moving at all times, my freestyle would be designed too win under the rules given.
Or
I would just go up there and throw down for 3 minutes knowing a lot of what I do wouldn’t be scored or would disqualify me, and just not care. Maybe even tell the judges before I start too take a break. lol

No matter what competition you go too, the people who play too the rules will be the winners most of the time. If you want too compete then you should probably just do that, or not care and take what ever place you get, understanding not playing too the rules is a almost guarantee loss.

1 Like

Maybe try posting under Hiro’s Rules post on WYYC FB event, I think you will get answer easily that way and you will understand this decision. These rules are discussed under IYYF with top judges, I’m sure they know exact reasons for it and you can expect these rules to be adopted by more contest around the world.

On WYYC, there will be TRICK X-IBITION, non-championship division, that is made for these unique styles, here is quote:

I think there might be another reason for dividing Mobius and other styles from 1A that nobody here mentioned - simplicity for spectators. When you explain 1A to some random people, they will just get super confused if somebody started with two strings or no string attached suddenly.

lol what a non-issue. First of all mobius has never caught on, it’s ugly and awkward and even years later no one bothers with it. Secondly there’s almost always an open division or something else where you can do things like mobius, double dragon, etc. so go and do it there if you truly think it’s competitive.

Discrimination!!! :wink:

Just curious…when was the last time someone competed at the World YoYo Contest with moebius tricks?

I haven’t ever seen it but maybe I’m just not looking

I think Steve Brown’s question was rhetorical. :slight_smile:

Alex Berenguel is the last person I remember seeing do it, at least in the finals at Worlds, but I’m not sure how long it’s been since he’s been in the finals at Worlds.  You can see him do it starting a little before 2:00 of this video, for example:

Gob-darnit Q.

I still love you lots though, towel boy.
Thank you.

Anyway
I was just venting on twitter in my own little world.
It wasn’t meant to be taken to this manner.

I could say a lot about Möbius not in the 1a division.
Q only saw part of my discussion which was just short tweets of anger.
But I already know its pointless to speak up at people, hopeless infact.
So I won’t waste anyone’s time or cause drama.
But if you want to know, just ask.
I’ll share my two cents if people are willing to listen.

Clarification:
I didn’t feel screwed over, I thought the style of play was.

Cheerio gentlemen…
~Z

Paul Kerbel did a couple of Moebius tricks at the end of his 2013 WYYC Freestyle:

I’m in no way joining the debate, simply answering the question.  :slight_smile:

Ok so paul kerbel did a moebius eli hop but thats it so it doesnt really affect him

This post accurately reflects my view. Except for the ugly part. To me, moebius is a distinctly different style from 1A and if more people played moebius and wish to compete, 1A would not be the correct division to compete under.

Well, actually the effects of the rule change would have affected him, really. He would have lost the few points he got from string hits in that eli hop combo entirely. He probably would have lost his performance points from that period of the performance as well. Also, the trick was dope. With the rule change that dopeness never would have existed.

Are the WYYC gods just destroying moebius entirely?

What about the experimental division. If I am correct,I may not be, There used to be a division called experimental before open and this was were all the developing styles of the time went to compete. If I am correct, this is were five a four a got there starts. Now I think I got something wrong in there I might be getting stuff confused with x division,but my point is wouldn’t it be great if there was a division made specifically for all these weird styles and sub styles. A place were mobeis hydra double dragon Can compete together. I mean a couple months ago I saw someone who combined counterweight and dragon double dragon,and wouldn’t it be great if he had a division made of of other new ideas and concepts to compete in.
Pulse if we combine all of them(,mobies double dragon) it might sole the low numbers of competitors problem.

My question wasn’t rhetorical, it was meant to bring attention to the fact that a rule change that basiaclly only affects one person who isn’t competing isn’t really an issue worth worrying about.

As for “omg worldz is killing moebius”, I think if anyone killed it, it was the players. If it was big enough to merit its own division, then it would have one. At this point we have five styles of play and we only have major support for one…the other four (all of which are 100x more established and popular than moebius) are struggling to maintain a player base and validity as separate divisions.

The idea that a rule change that affects literally no one is going to do damage to a style of play that has no traction to begin with is kind of ridiculous.

I think a better use of everyone’s time would be to discuss thoughts, plans, and ideas on how to take a barely marginal style of play and teach it to more people, if that’s really want you want to do.

Or maybe we could discuss ideas on how to save the dying divisions we already have, instead of worrying about a non-division that almost no one performs.

1 Like

Why get rid of it, though?

I hate moebius. I hate how it looks and basically everything about it. That’s my opinion on the style, but I just don’t get why they went out of their way to get rid of it. It wasn’t doing any harm; it was just being the little old style that it is, occasionally adding variety to the players’ freestyles.

They didn’t “get rid of it,” because it can still be used, just not scored the way it used to be. I’m sure it can add variety to a freestyle, but there are lots of other ways to add variety to a freestyle too. A good player will know how to add plenty of variety, within the parameters of the new rules. :wink: