Worlds 2016

Portland please

NC lol

I say west coast they haven’t had many wyyc on the west coast mostly central

People need to realize that worlds isn’t just another US state or regional contest and hope “Oh I hope it’s within driving distance from me”.

1. It’s the World YoYo Contest. A contest where the top yoyoers around the world compete. If you don’t want for it to be too far from you (still of course within your home country) then I feel like that opinion shows that you don’t want to compete to win.

2. Worlds needs to be in a huge city, as said in the original post. In my opinion, the top 3 places would be Chicago, Los Angeles, or Boston. Secondary cities like Cleveland, Denver, etc. would be nice, but may be a little more expensive to get to with less options for tourists to do (since people are still coming from across the world).

1 Like

You trying to sink my proposal for Cleveland, Colin?

Now I’m no American, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about Detroit, Michigan.

and Gambit is also not sarcastic… Detroit is a ghost town.

1 Like

Nah, even the ghosts left Detriot.

Detroit is awesome. I was there a couple weeks ago.

I would like to see it be in D.C., Chicago, Atlanta, or Birmingham. They are all within reaching distance for me and I might not be able to go to places like LA, Portland, Austin, Denver, etc. Cleveland would be alright I guess.

zorro you were there during a U2 concert… where there was actually people… but Detroit is pretty empty most of the time… considering whole city blocks sometimes sell for just a few hundred dollars.

All I did was fly into Detroit airport. The U2 concert was in Chicago.

then you really saw nothing of Detroit…

Who said that was the only time I’ve been?

No offense to Cleveland, Detroit; but shouldn’t this be in a world-class city? When they were in Czechoslovakia is was Prague. When it was in Japan it was in Tokyo. I am having trouble with it being in the USA and being held in …Cleveland. Nothing against Cleveland, but it is not exactly thick with American History.

For me, it should be in a place where foreign tourists would have something to write home about. That means Washington D.C.; New York or Philadelphia. Boston is great too; but the tourist sites are spread-out all over the MA, CT, RI, VT countryside. The forts are definitely cool though.

Boston would get my vote. And I’m not biased because I live in canada.

I agree that larger cities like New York, LA, or DC would be great, but it’s not really as feasible. No one seems to be thinking about what it takes to put an event like Worlds together. You need a city where you can afford to pull off a world class event and a city that will support the event and get truly excited about the event (not to mention someone local to put it all together).

New York probably won’t care if the WYYC is booked in their city, there’s a lot going on there and the draw of a little additional tourism doesn’t mean as much to them. But if you do it somewhere like Cleveland (yeah, it doesn’t sound exciting) you can afford to go bigger and make it a huge event and the city would be stoked to have it.

1. That makes really no sense. If I want something to be close to me it is because it would be more affordable to go. Having to pay for a plane ticket is far more expensive than driving to a major city that is near to where you live. Just because you don’t want to pay a ton of money to buy a plane ticket doesn’t mean you don’t want to win; the two ideas (wanting worlds to be close, wanting to win) aren’t related at all.

2. lol I agree with this though.

On Detroit: it’s certainly not a ghost town. It’s definitely not what it used to be-- and I think that it won’t be for a while-- but it most certainly is coming back. The city just has some stuff to work out. There are some people rebuilding the city and I believe that they are succeeding. The city is simply so massive that it’s large population is diluted throughout the city’s large acreage.

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,85623.0.html

How about somewhere not in the states. A lot of people here in Europe can’t afford to go to the States every year. That being said Worlds were held in Prague last year. But yeah a different location each year would allow different types of players from different countries to meet and yoyo with the people they idolize.

Well it’ll be two years since its been in the states which is more than fair. It goes the same way, North American players can’t afford to go to Europe every year. I live in Canada, and I’ve been saving for two years to go to worlds, which I can afford if it is in North America. If it’s in Europe or Asia again, I would have to wait until 2017.
Furthermore, Europe and Asia have multinational events already, such as ap and eyyc, I don’t think North America has a championship, so they are already behind on major contests.

1 Like