Wooden yoyo woooo's

oh boy. an hour of throwing this thing. it feels like butter. it’s been 40 years since i tried a shoot the moon. got it today. ( although the yoyo did come apart a couple times during the hour sending one half to the ceiling, but i’m sure that is just me not wanting to overtighten it ). but yea i found an awesome yoyo for my return to fixed axle play. now i’ll have my pom draupnir in one pocket and the tmbr in another. thank you very much everyone for the help and even for the tiny amount of crap i got for making such a duh mistake buying something without asking here first. i learned. and thank you ED, your videos are inspiring.

Thank you for watching, and for continuing to throw wood!
It’s a unique and special pursuit requiring a different kind of dedication. Very best wishes!

1 Like

It seems many never have the problem of the Woodthread axel coming apart, but I have. If you have difficulty with yours, maybe this will help:

https://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,95907.0.html

2 Likes

awesome. that should help. it came apart one more time last night. thank you

Hey, I missed your post way back when. That’s great advice. One side of my Baldwin was so tight and fused together that a walnut cap was destroyed/chewed up when I tried to unscrew with a heavy duty screwdriver. Not that I needed the cap (I was replacing the axle), but it would have been nice to not have to drill it out. Cool!

well it’s been a few days now of throwing the TMBR. it has not come apart all weekend so i think i have it tight enough now. also no more broken strings. using the cotton #10 string as ED suggested. loving it.
at least i only wasted $10 shipped on the Yomega Panther.

Great to hear that you’re liking it so much. :slight_smile:

Hang on to that Panther. We all started somewhere, and pretty much every serious thrower can look back at a purchase they made at some point that may not have been ideal, but helped set them on the path.

Pavese wrote: “The only joy in the world is to begin.”
So just be “beginning” every minute of every day, and you’ll find yo-yoing pretty joyous! :wink:

yeah, that’s gone to yoyo hell.

What did you do with it?

I gave it its last throw. Into the waste basket. The axle was broken with one half glued into the yoyo half. The yoyo didn’t feel good in the hand with those O-rings on it anyway. It wasn’t worth the dremmel. The axle had a centering groove in it that I believe to be the culprit of the broken strings. I half ass re entered this hobby a year ago with a g2 marvel purchase that I couldn’t Bind. I modded it to be responsive and threw it every day. Way too much maintenance to keep it consistent. So I purchased a gruntbull orbis 3 months ago and learned to bind it a few hours later. I returned the Marvel back to the original condition and started learning tricks. Now with about a couple of dozen tricks I found that I also wanted to just throw a yoyo. That’s where the Panther came and went leading me to Ed and the TMBR

Btw the Marvel is my yoyo that sits at my desk for me to remind me what started all this. Now I’m looking for a club in AZ to learn more

Check out the chandler yoyo club

[quote=“GrindDude,post:33,topic:84384”]
Check out the chandler yoyo club
[/quote
i just found that yesterday. they just had a group get together saturday. i missed it. next one. it’s a hundred miles but should be fun. thank you

Just gotta say, gluing the caps on a wood thread TMBR is pretty overkill. Just make sure you tighten the caps down, then give the whole yoyo a slight tightening, shouldn’t come apart. Once I learned how to adjust the caps I’ve never had one of them come apart, and I own around a dozen wood thread TMBR’s :slight_smile:

edit: Sorry, just reread that thread, it was gluing to strengthen the slots ;D Ok, I’m off for another cup of coffee, as I’m clearly not awake yet :smiley:

yeah. i glued the axle back into the panther and i broke it while i was twisting it tight. i did not glue the TMBR. my TMBR has not come loose after the first couple of hours throwing it. it is tight enough now. the tip for applying CA to the screw cap slot is brilliant. i’m sure clear finger nail polish will also work. i have not done that yet.

Fingernail polish may be too thick…