šŸŖµ Wildwood Fixed Axle Yo-yos

I found this post super helpful:

I use the pinch that Adam demos in the video on basically all my kickflips.

The one right after it is also @edhaponikā€™s link to his YYE tutorial, which was also super helpful.

I personally donā€™t really use my knees for kickflips.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I refreshed the list and added some b-grades in various models.

4 Likes

Pmā€™d

2 Likes

B-grade Boost

2 Likes

Wanted to add to the pile that my Gnomad is one of the prettiest/most fun/consistent/best performing yoyos I have had the pleasure of playing with

7 Likes

Echoing what others said. The Gnomad is spectacular!
Im not usually a big fixed axel fan but have fallen in love with mine.

6 Likes

Two more lovely Gnomads added. Freshly QCā€™d and they play like a dream.

ā€¦

10 Likes

Canā€™t say I landed it yet, but I have landed it twice on my thumb, soā€¦close? Just hearing the advice and knowing to just keep your eye on the loop has helped demystify it a tiny bit.

2 Likes

If your getting the throw to turn over youā€™re most of the way there.

Now donā€™t ask me how to do a heel flip. Thatā€™s just dark magic.

Yeah, that Drew Tetz clip with all the variations is amazing.

2 Likes

Sorry for hijacking this thread Eric. Last post here and Iā€™ll move to FAF thread. I landed my first successful kick flip last night. It was my third or fourth ā€œiā€™ll just pick this one up and give it a few throws before bed.ā€ And after a few tries I landed it. It was on a Duncan Imperial. Ed Haponik mentioned something about a good high wall helping. Iā€™m guessing the imperial is as high as you can get since thereā€™s no inside taper at all and also the gap is really narrow so it holds the loop as flat/open as possible. But regardless, progress!

Now check out those beautiful Gnomads! I love mine and even incremented my STM record by one the first day I had it.

4 Likes

I said this elsewhere, but itā€™s worth saying here as well. These are very well made yoyo. First fixie Iā€™ve ever picked up and it just responded perfectly without even having to break the string in. Definitely worth a place in a collection.

6 Likes

New fixies added: Click here

11 Likes

Ignorant questions - I know nothing of 0a:

How does it have string vibe I thought it didnā€™t sleep? Or am I missing how fixed axle stuff works?

They look absolutely gorgeous and is making me consider dabbling into 0a :eyes:

2 Likes

You should! And fixies definitely sleep. There is a pretty active scene, and a lot of us like to push the limits of fixies with some shorter 1A tricks as well. Go check out the fixed Friday or 0A thread for some inspiration, and get your hands on Ericā€™s wood. It is VERY good wood.

7 Likes

So then is the main difference that they donā€™t have a true bearing just a blank/spacer then thus why it can sleep and the necessity to use cotton string for the spin heat part?

Thanks for the clarification though, I had no clue! Hahaha

3 Likes

For sure! Yeah cotton is preferred by most since there is incredible friction on the axle of a fixie. It can and will melt polyester and nylon, though itā€™s not a particularly instant process.

Shapes are usually following a different set of design parameters as well, narrower gaps, much higher walls, and much lower average weight.

Really just hella fun. If you want a cheaper entry, the new mold Duncan Butterflys are also around for you. But then once youā€™re hooked get something from Eric. Good wood from a good dude.

6 Likes

Bro do you do UX work? What a classy way of doing a bump and updating the post :+1:. Love to see the thought

2 Likes

Pm sent!

1 Like