Why the lack of yoyo contests in the southeast?

It seems like the only prominent contest seems to be Florida states. Like there used to be a Georgia and Alabama states, but not anymore. It just seems weird to me since worlds is held in Florida.

Lack of southeast yoyoers?

Because there’s a lack of contest organizers in the area, or sufficiently motivated players. Also, there is no national organization helping run contests around the country so there is no infrastructure to draw from…thus making it rather difficult for someone to get into the contest organizing business for the first time.

1 Like

igknighton…I think you’re the man to do it. I’m not sure if that’s your thing though. Would you be interested in organizing a contest in your area? Steve Brown is in here…and I’m sure he could give you some helpful tips and advice after having organized some of the best.

Heck I live in Arkansas and do you know how hard to find contests here

Try the MD area. the last contest MD had was In 2007 that is a long time! Also no one the only contest in this area is Virginia and it is a small contest!

WEST SIDE
//

That is also a contributing factor because there are not many attendees to the contests

There’s a retailer in Florida, or at least 2 that I know of.

When I saw the amount of entrants for Florida States, it wasn’t too bad. When i saw the number of entrants for SER and how it was handled, it was pathetic.

lack of contest organizers and motivated players is the key as STeve brown pointed out,

My advise would be to start your own club :slight_smile: get more people involved.

I am in Northern VA and we have a contest every year in richmond but I live close to DC. So I started a little club called Capital yoyo club and we have gone from 4 guys to 20 at some point. We even had pros like Ann Connolly show up when she is not touring the world.

You just gotta go out there and try to make something happen. We have had little contests in our club where we gave out yo-yos, its alot of fun and it pushes people to get better.

Also we get a lot of throwers from MD and DC also.

There is basically a georgia yoyo club I might be going for the first time Saturday so I don’t know what the typical show up is. They meet every month and I think someone said that they want to plan a large southeast/georgia meetup.

OMG i’m finally gonna get to meet someone from the forums XD

it’s a possibility I think I may have convinced my mother.

How would I go about starting a club? I’m not really sure on how to get more people involved. I know a small handful of yo-yoers already.

Where in the southeast do you live. I know Felix from Duncan crew live in Tuscaloosa AL at one time. I don’t know if is still located there or not. I’m in Birmingham AL and I only know of about 4 yoyoers in the area. I was looking into putting together a state contest here several years ago but somebody else beat me to it so I dropped the idea. Now I just don’t if I would have the time to put one together.

You seem to be excited for your first yoyo club :stuck_out_tongue:

No. That’s not it. There are at least a dozen within an hour of our club here in Northern NC. I know there are at least another dozen that attend Ed’s club on the Southern side of the state. I also know that there are at least 4 active/semi-active/lurking forum members that are not in driving range of either.

That adds up to at least 26 people. There are probably at least twice that many, AND, starting a annual contest will get more people into the hobby.

Where in the southeast do you live. I know Felix from Duncan crew live in Tuscaloosa AL at one time. I don’t know if is still located there or not. I’m in Birmingham AL and I only know of about 4 yoyoers in the area. I was looking into putting together a state contest here several years ago but somebody else beat me to it so I dropped the idea. Now I just don’t if I would have the time to put one together.

I live in birmingham as well. Are the yoyoers you’re refereeing to work in a tattoo shop?

They do. I’ve never actually met them. there use to be another guy that lived in Hoover but he got busy with college and doesn’t throw as much as he used to.