Why is the double rim such a popular offstring design?

I’ve been revisiting offstring lately, adding some throws to the collection, and adding some tricks to the repertoire. In my research, it seems that a lot of popular offstring throws gravitate towards the double rim / inner ring design. The Flawless, the Flight, the Spire, the Unlimited, the Trueno, the Amulette - to name a handful. The only company that has stood out to me as shying away from the double rim design is YYR.

Clearly this design does its job well, and I’ve always liked the double rim design aesthetically, but I’m curious what about this design works so well for offstring throws? What is it about this weight placement that makes for a good 4a throw?

2 Likes

The thinner outer rim helps the yoyo have more bounce to aid with recovery on drops. So they have a thick inner rim to provide the power for the yoyo to spin good, and then a thinner outer rim to help keep the yoyo bouncing high on drops for easy recovery.

4A yoyos can bounce well without a double rim design, I know the Anotogaster is pretty well loved. But this is then idea behind 4A double rims, at least according to Atsushi Yamada. I’m paraphrasing and trying to remember stuff I read a long while back though.

6 Likes

That’s great info. Thanks for sharing!

Another thing I’d considered, at least for hybrid throws like the Flawless Air, is that placing the metal ring inside of the cup (as opposed to directly on the inside or outside of the rim) must greatly increase the durability as well by absorbing some of the impact through the outer rim.