New throw! The Vengeance, extreme bimetal designs

With this design, I was going for a yoyo that would suit all of my personal yoyo needs. Of course, that doesn’t mean that the yoyo would strictly suit me. In this design, I tried making a dual ring yoyo, with the rings placed in such a manner that it would not hinder its grinding capabilities. This yoyo took a heavy influence from the edge and bind. Questions and comments below.

and i thought id show it in green for twich

specs:
Diameter: 2.16"
Width: 1.85"
Weight: 64.6 grams
Bearing: C size

And I don’t know what I’d sell it for if I made it. I was thinking somewhere between $125-$165.

also, I’ve been asked this question before so ill just say it before someone asks this time. my cad software is creo parametric.

6 Likes

That ring in the rim is hella wide. How much weight do the ones in the rim add?

1 Like

around 35-40 grams.

aren’t they just a monstrosity? I was really surprised that I could keep the weight where it is with them in there.

however, they aren’t actually as thick as you might think. I kept the weight nice and spread out up there.

nvm its not 40, its more like 45g on the thick rim. I also kept the axle space really big, so that i could fit a really big axle in there.

2 Likes

to the top. any questions, post 'em below.

Looks nice! Just curious, what are the benefits/purposes of the catch zone rings? greater acceleration?

My guess it that it would add more mid weight to the yo-yo giving it a balanced feel on the string.

This looks pretty cool. I like the beefy rims and the attention to balance

3 Likes

For the catch zone rings, why not just make the body itself thicker, and have the machine shop cut a shiny part into the catch zone? Less parts, more durable.

13 Likes

and less expensive I guess

1 Like

I think those catch zone rings would hinder finger grind performance, at least a little. They would definitely make contact with my index finger, and I have skinny fingers.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that kind of depend on how or if the ring is polished ?

1 Like

I’m not saying I prefer one or the other but what your suggesting in my head seems like it would make the yo-yo feel much different .

1 Like

Well the point was to position the rings so they don’t interfere with grinds, I assume that means keeping them away from the typical grind surfaces.

2 Likes

The inner rings are pretty small, I’d guess they are about 1.5 apiece. It’s pretty easy to distribute that same mass in the main yoyo body so that the moment of inertia of the yoyo as a whole is identical.

3 Likes

Gotcha. I can definitely see it being a potential problem for grinds especially if it is polished.

2 Likes

Would the density for steel vs aluminum play any factor on how it plays? I’m not trying to argue or debate genuinely curious.

1 Like

its interesting to see such a large rim with an inner ring

1 Like

What I’m suggesting would be to add all that weight back as aluminum, and throwing it blind you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, because you could adjust the weight placement easily with such a small amount.

3 Likes

actually, I put the catch zone rings there for anti slip during binds. with rings that beefy, the binds could start getting really slippy, and the regens, uncontrollable. I put them there so that more weight would be closer to the y-axis, and in return, the yoyo would regen better, and I’m pretty sure that the yoyo being balanced would be a nice secondary quality. i just got an edge infinity, and that’s one of the biggest problems with it. (its still my favorite yoyo tho)

edit: also, I have pretty thin fingers, so I guess that I wouldn’t be affected by the rings being there as much as you, maybe.

edit: also, I put them there for aesthetic purposes, mostly because it looks sick, and also because I have always been a fan of dual ring throws… and I just wanted to make one like the edge. also, does anyone know if YYF plans on expanding on the edge lineup even though Evan Nagao isn’t on their team anymore?

3 Likes

I think Evan is still on the yyf team

2 Likes

You are 100 percent correct.

Evan has diverted a certain amount of his time to his music.

But he is still on the Team.

3 Likes