Why I haven't moved to Reddit to talk about yo-yos

Probably mailday posts. Which some people do hate. The problem is that people who like the discussiony posts (or even mailday) have to coexist with the people who like trick posts… and the “winner takes all” voting homepage format of Reddit means, like highlander

so fighting is inevitable. And to be honest? The goofy memes will ALWAYS win in the long run because they are the least effort, highest reward content. The only way to change that is extreme moderator intervention, which to be fair does exist on some subreddits.

(It’s funny because you always hear people complaining about how bad things are with overly strict moderation, but the reality is that there are far FAR FAR more problems in the actual real world with lack of moderation.)

1 Like

I think some times a place can be overly curated or structured. We forget that people are perfectly capable of just ignoring the content they don’t want to see and it can be selfish IMO to just stifle content just because one personally doesn’t want to see it.

The mail day posts are about people sharing their excitement of getting a new throw, particularly novice throwers.

I realize that some people will view that as pointless or not adding anything to the discussion, but the thing I love most about this community is how supportive they are and mail day posts are a great way to just tell someone “wow, very cool, atta boy!”, to give them affirmation and to share in their excitement.

5 Likes