Why Don't You Play X?

2A: I tried to learn loops for about a month but as it turns out looping is incredibly hard! I also dislike the amount of maintenance involved with loopers. I am interested in how easy it is to yoyo to fast music while looping though

3A: Probably mostly a cost thing since I need 2 new unresponsive yoyos to do the style. 3A also seems difficult to make stuff that’s unique without having the trick flow horribly. That could be a fun challenge though

4A: This is the style I have the most experience with besides 1A. It is quite fun. Only downsides are that it feels limiting in what I can do with it (It is possible that I am bad) and chasing yoyos around isn’t super fun

5A: This is the style that seems most appealing to me. I would probably need a beater yoyo to practice on but besides that I have no issue with it. If I ever get bored of 1A I will probably start playing 5A

5 Likes

Thank you for the reply and detail again very helpful!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

If you haven’t tried initiators they are my go to as I can run them dry and they work great so only thing I need to do is clean the bearings from time to time and swap strings.

Mismatched 3A works just fine for starting if you ever want to give it a shot and I think in general its a very unexplored area.

1A is the style that made we want to get into yoyoing in the first place, so that’s where my focus has been.

I have dabbled in 2A a bit here and there, but not only is it annoyingly difficult to get the motion down consistently, the tricks just aren’t that interesting/fun to me.

3A is right out, at least until I’m better at 1A and can control just one yoyo well.

4A is something I’ll try someday when I can spend more time outside, cuz 4A is not an indoor style (my ceilings just aren’t high enough).

5A is a style I love the idea of, and have tried here and there, but it too is maddeningly difficult to get the feel of. When you mess up in 5A, you either end up with a string that is all wound around itself or a yoyo that has flown off and crashed into something. Practicing is therefore a much slower and more frustrating process than 1A, and I’m not particularly fond of slow and frustrating.

5 Likes

Thanks for the answer and insight.

No problem. Thanks, that’s good to know! I’m sure Tesla can get me on track if I ever go down that rabbit hole. I consider it sometimes for sure. That’s awesome to hear people are picking up 3A! I’ve tried 5A briefly and very little of 3A in person one time with Tesla. I play 0A also if that counts.

3 Likes

0a for sure counts one of my favorite styles and yeah Tesla is always so willing to help people.

3 Likes

Interesting question!

For me, a big part of it is my motivation for yoyoing. At this point in my yoyoing journey (nearly 14 years) the biggest motivations for my yoyoing are the “unconscious” factors - that feeling of flow state and creativity that comes with a good sesh. Since I feel like I have a pretty good base of the fundamentals in the 1a style, it’s easier to get into this state and I feel very rewarded.

I have dabbled in all the other styles (except 3a), and while it is indeed fun for a change of pace, I don’t tend to stick with it too long because my actual fundamentals in these styles is comparably weaker. So, I feel like I find less avenues to explore creatively without knowing these. At the same time, I don’t find as much fulfillment in simply watching tutorials and “drilling” certain movements anymore, at least not to the level that would be necesary to excel at these styles. I prefer to learn new things by kind of copying the general vibes of other people’s tricks, if that makes sense. This isn’t as possible to do without knowing the basic building blocks those tricks are based on.

I do really enjoy and appreciate watching all styles of yoyoing, and perhaps one day I’ll devote myself to mastering another style. But for now, these are the reasons why I mostly stick with 1a.

4 Likes

Thanks for answering and I get the flow state part and its one of the things I personally like about 2a/3a but I can see it from other stand points as well. Curious as to why you never tried 3a? What was it that kept you away if you don’t mind me asking.

1 Like

2A: I don’t have 2 loopers
3A: The sound of yoyos hitting each other would be extremely disruptive and annoying to other house members
4A: Property damage, and living with old people means property damage is one step away from murder
5A: 3A and 4A combined lol

3 Likes

Thanks for the answers, if you want 2 loopers let me know :grinning:

2 Likes

I don’t really enjoy any of the responsive styles right now, I tried 2a and 4a and had no inclination to get good at them. Looping is really hard and I felt like I just wasn’t getting anywhere. 4a I have a large backyard but this is a double edged sword because the yoyo rolls all the way across the grass if I mess up. I’m good for now.

I haven’t tried anything proper modern responsive but those are super popular so I’m sure I can get something on bst if the need strikes me.

3a is the non-1a style Ive made the most progress with. I can do gunslingers all day with both hands, and sometimes I can land a coro-coro that I throw directly into. I fell off a little but my 3a Topyo Colossuses are ready when I am. I’ll get back to it.

My frontstyle vocabulary for 1a is basically nonexistent because I really like throwing breakaways. I also do not practice nearly enough 5a but I really like that style too. With adhd executive function issues sometimes I’m just glad to pick up a 1a throw and jam for a while. Learning new tricks has been kind of a brick wall lately because of this but that’s ok. It’s not a race!

1 Like

First off. I play mostly 1 and 5a with a little bit of 0a thrown in.

2a is too much of a grind. I just don’t want to get in to it.

3a feels too ponderous for me. Especially in the beginning. Maybe I’ll get in to it in a while but right now it doesn’t feel like something i want.

4a is incredible looking… but running after my yoyo all the time is just exhausting and i don’t want to do it.

3 Likes

Nah I can get my own pair eventually.

1 Like

I usually don’t do any X styles because I mainly compete in 1A. but lately I’ve been doing some 3A 4A and 5A because I want to eventually start competing in every style.
I can barely do any 2A because I have some Oracles and they are not responsive enough. I can do some 3A tricks, but I can’t throw hard enough to make the yoyo(s) spin long for very long. I can only do like 1 trick per throw. sometimes the yoyos will die during a trick, and I’ll get a huge knot.
my goal for yoyo is to get good enough to make it to finals at nationals in every style. we’ll see if that ever happens…

5 Likes

I have learned some 4A and dabbled in the basics of 5A, I haven’t started 3A but it would be fun to soon, and I’m currently obsessed with 2A. The main thing stopping me from 3A is probably the price for two yo-yos, but idk I prolly will sooon :man_shrugging:. There’s just the most 1A yo-yos and it’s simplest. Otherwise I like 2A and 4A

4 Likes

I am super active in 1a and takes already lot lot of time to be good at it.

2a looks good but cant be bothered, 4a and 5a I find them a bit boring honestly to both look and play.

I tried 3a for a while but while people here talk about the 2 yoyos price (its easy to find very cheap yoyos around to start), the ding sound, the smell of the yoyo when ding, for me… is unravel the strings when you do a mistake (and in the beginning you do soooo many of them), is most the time passing untangle the strings that actually play, if you try a combo with couple of strings passages and mess up than the pain is doubled up. It was literally making me nervous ahahaha

I love 3a it looks sick and is fun but seriously I was wasting more time trying to fix the strings than playing

5 Likes

I would consider myself an X player and a just a casual 1a player. Most if my 1a time is when i’m trying out someone else’s yoyo, so it’s rare. I’m drawn to X devisions and pushed away from 1A mainly because… i just am more interested in X. 5A is my main style and recently picked up 3A. I dabble in 1a and 4a but don’t touch 2A.

Also i feel i have a place in 5A and that it’s much more attainable. Where as, there is so much 1a play, it seems overwhelming and like i have no place there, nor do i really want a place in 1a. I’m drawn to 5A for many reasons, the freedom, the crazy amount of the unexplored and the lack of players. And i just have WAY more fun with it. I can play 5a for hours and hours on end but can’t hold a 1a sesh for more than 30 mins or so.

Also drawn to 3a for the mega challenge and the feelings you get when you finally hit something plus all the other reasons i love 5a.

X devision forever!!

7 Likes

I ocasionaly do simple tricks I learned on 3a. For 2a I dont really do it because I only have one looping yoyo.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and I totally get the adhd part. It makes me struggle with so many things after the initial hyper focus stage fades away.

1 Like