Why don't mini yoyos use an A or D bearing instead of a C?

I’ve noticed that some of the recently released small yoyos like the TiNY and Mini Hummingbird use a standard C-sized bearing. Since the yoyos are very small, I would have thought they’d use a smaller bearing as well. I know that everything isn’t proportionally smaller, but let’s compare the diameters of the Hummingbird vs. the Mini Hummingbird. The regular one is 55.9 mm in diameter, and the mini is 47.4 mm. That means that the Mini’s diameter is roughly 85% of its bigger brother. A C-sized bearing has an outer diameter of 12.7 mm, and a D-sized bearing’s diameter is 11 mm. That means the D’s outer diameter is roughly 86% of the C. I realize there are several factors to consider when designing a yoyo, and this is just one of the many variables. But why would they make the yoyo roughly 15% smaller and not design it for the bearing that is 14% smaller? I know that Cs are more common and easier to come by, but is there another reason that the TiNY and Mini Hummingbird use a C-bearing instead of something smaller? I’m not saying they should have, I’m only curious as to why they’d use the C instead of a smaller bearing. Does anyone know?

3 Likes

D bearings feel better but C will give more performance. Could also be yoyofriends not having any D In their lineup

6 Likes

Exactly what he said! Above! Yoyo friends put the word performance in almost all their Yoyo descriptions or stories so it makes sense for them to stick with the c bearing if that’s what ultimately gives the Yoyo it’s best performance capability. I think they do have one d bearing Yoyo tho. Stainless koi is d bearing I believe but could be wrong

1 Like

Yoyofriends SS Koi is D sized

4 Likes

D has a different feel to it than C as well. Also pads are easier to get for C.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies, everyone. It sounds like it comes down to two factors: C-sized bearings are more performant and since they’re ubiquitous it’s easy to find pads and replacement bearings if there’s ever a problem with the originals.

So I’m assuming that the performance aspect deals with the C bearing’s spin time - is that right, or is there another reason that it gives a yoyo better performance?

I still consider myself to be an intermediate thrower, but I’ve never found D bearings lacking in performance. I find that I typically like their binds better, and some of my all-time favorite yoyos have D bearings. But I guess that’s what @hobbygod is referring to when he says that D bearings feel better.

In my experience most mini yoyos DO use A or D bearings…

The ones that use a C bearing are actually the exception.

1 Like