Why Can't the Dark Magic II and I Just Get Along?

Maverick is 50mm. Smaller than a dm2. Of course it’ll play different. Maybe the OP’s preference is 50mm throws. So dv888 would be prefect. I liked the dm2 way better than the maverick. I don’t see how the shape can be outdated. Most throws have the same shape. How much more can the butterfly shape be updated?

This isn’t much new. It seems to me that people either love or hate the DMII. It is a solid yoyo, and with all of the weight at the rims it will feel like such.

Some plastic yoyos, as well as some metals, can all sound loud. For plastics, it is typically because of the caps on them, and they may feel a little cheap. As metals go, based on their cup shape, they may actually be just as loud. My Werrd Poo is really loud with a bad bearing.

As for the weight variance, I do believe the Maverick is much lighter than a DMII. There are some strange weights on some of the yoyos here on YYE and I honestly do not know why.

The weight distribution can also be part of it because the Maverick is certainly a bit more evenly distributed than the DMII.

If you’re interested in finding a good throw at a good price, I would totally recommend the Magic Yoyo line. They can be found on a popular auction site, and typically run around $10 for a full metal. T5 is well known as a good one, as well as the N12. If you’re interested in a bit of an organic throw that is undersized, go for a T6.

Check 'em out! :wink:

Everyone’s Poo can get loud. It’s just how it is.

Really now? I thought only the bearings caused noise… That’s interesting.

Body type also influenced noise a lot

Yes, just because a yoyo isn’t the latest hyped flavor of the week doesn’t make it a poor yoyo. Tastes and preferences vary. I don’t particularly care for some of the newer stepped or “H” shapes myself.

The bearing is the source of the noise, but the body shape and construction can amplify it.

2 Likes

I’m confused then. In my original post I said that if you wanted to stop it from being noisy, just add some thin yoyo lube? Is that not the case? I understand how it isn’t “just the bearing,” but will yo-yo lube not quiet a Dark Magic II?

Your mileage may vary! You’re probably right, actually. I was reading your post as general advice but yeah, a DM2 is not crazy loud compared to many throws. A bit of lube will definitely at least help.

Get one. They’re way cheaper than a dv888, and I like them better than one.

I really appreciate all the feedback, especially from those of you who mentioned the Magic YoYo brand. I’ve never heard of the company before, but after searching around, I can see that they put out some sweet looking metals! I actually took advantage of the YoYo Day sale to grab a DV888 from here (fingers crossed), but I’ll definitely be trying a Magic throw in the future.

And thanks to those who suggested some quality plastics as well. I’ve actually been eyeing the Gravitsky ProtoStar, so I’m glad to hear that it’s a solid contender.

Perfect. You’ll like the DV888. It’s just about the same size of the Maverick just different shape and weight.

I actually own the Gravitsky Protostar. Best looking YYF plastic yo-yo. In fact, I believe the Protostar represents how well a plastic can play.