Who wants to see SPYY return?

This was my spyy collection at one point in time. I made lots of videos with the yoyos, and wanted to be on the team so bad, but I barely had any kind of following then. I still have a few of those yos, and I sold/traded everything else, and had to move on. When I heard that they were closing shop a part of me died. Spyy had the coolest bunch of players, and I’ve had the opportunity to meet a few of them. It’s a shame they didn’t get more attention.

EVERYTHING Ed says in his post is 100% correct.

SPYY was rad, it was a huge hassle and a bummer and sometimes amazing to run it, and Steve is an amazing person.

3 Likes

Releasing a huge amount of uninspiring titanium yoyos into a flooded market at $315? And we’re supposed to be surprised there’s still some hanging around? The fact is SPYY used to have some of the most original yoyos around with the RSL and Pures, Ranchero was cool, a few others here and there, but then ended up making just sorta boring yoyos with ugly graphics and colorways. The Supra I maintain is still one of the best undersized yoyos ever, but boy is it a snoozer in the aesthetics department. SPYYs played great, but the colors, shapes, everything was just meh, and meh doesn’t cut it, and especially won’t cut it now with 5x the competition.

Sure I’d like for them to come back if they have something new and unique to offer, but if they’re just going to keep the trajectory of making nice playing but fairly boring yoyos, then might as well save themselves the trouble. Their problem is the same as a lot of yoyo companies, which is that middle-aged guys who think gothic fonts and spiders and skulls and flames and other fairly cringe-worthy things are cool don’t know how to make aesthetically appealing yoyos in the current market. I mean just look at Yoyojam lol, they had a nice yoyo design here and there, but then threw some big block lettering or something on it seemingly randomly and totally ruined the looks.

You’re absolutely right! What we need are more V shaped, or other low wall, heavy rim weighted yoyos on the market. We have no where near enough. No unique yoyos! More of the same!

I think what Nathan was saying was that he wishes there were more unique yoyos.

I don’t fully agree or disagree with his opinion, however.

There is a lot of truth here.

How many throws today have any sort of chance of standing the test of time? Dime a dozen. So much of everything is the same as everything else these days. Just different logos and annos and people in the videos.

True inspiration is hard to find. There are pockets. But fewer than there once were in this weird hobby.

Reading comprehension fail? Did you even read what you quoted?

Maybe you have to help me out. I read your compliment that you liked a few of their yoyos, and feel that at one time they made some of the most original yoyos out there, but then you also called the TYY-01 an “uninspiring titanium,” then went on to say if they’re just going to keep making nice playing but boring yoyos they should save themselves the trouble. And that their colors and shapes wouldn’t cut it with today’s competition.

So unless it was all meant to be sarcastic, and didn’t come off that way, or maybe you meant something that I completely didn’t catch, it seemed to be a lot of negative toward SPYY. And if it was the other things than my apologizes to you for misunderstanding.

I agree that part of the industry can be like that. Too many of the same yo-yo that seems like it was made just to keep a machine busy.

But we are in a sort of “Golden-age” for Bi-Metal designs. So many new, different designs coming to market. The YoyoFactory lineup, in particular, seems to be gushing with inspiration and experimentation. Yoyrecreation, CLYW; they are all coming out with interesting, new yo-yo’s. Unfortunately, much of this experimentation has been overseas; out of the jurisdiction of the USA legal/shakedown machine.

Seems like you understood… So I’m confused where your sarcastic comment about me wanting more V-shaped yoyos comes from? The whole point was that if they can return to their roots of making original, unique designs then I’d welcome their return. But if they just release more mediocre yoyos in this super-crowded market then I wouldn’t want them to waste their time and money.

Not really directing that you want more V shaped throws, but what I described is a good 90% of what is released these days, and in my opinion is what is really boring. Bimetals are even getting this way, someone says they are making a new bimetal you can almost guess what the specs, shape, and even the ring placement is going to be, why I really applaud the companies who have not jumped on the band wagon until they come up with something unique. The whole market like you said is super-crowded.

So I guess to me I’m confused why in one breath you say SPYY is original and unique, and the next they’re boring and mediocre?

My understanding was: there is a danger that ANY company entering a yoyo into the market right now is in danger of just going for a boring and “obvious” V-shaped competition yoyo. Furthermore, regardless of design, their colourways have been boring (side note: I disagree… Amplifier had understated by very interesting colours)

And if SPYY went down this route, he would rather they didn’t bother. But if they’re going to bring out something unique and interesting, like they’ve done in the past, and with colourways that are interesting (again, that one is a matter of opinion), he could be sold on it.

1 Like

Actually I would prefer to think of Steve Winning his Battle with Cancer; first.

And then We could all jerk his chain about what we think he should do🤔

2 Likes

^

Amen. Let Steve first get his health back, then have some healthy time with his family so they can all enjoy some happiness, then, he can start letting the creative juices flow. But, first he needs to focus all his energy on beating cancer.

2 Likes