Which yoyo should I choose?

A lot of us don’t use the stock string. Also, I’ve tried the string from the company that produces the Civility and its just polyester string. Like it’s fine but it’s not a game changer or even appreciably better than YYF or YYE string. If you’re concerned about string, buy some MonkeyFingeR Vines or Sochi or Zipline or Airetic.

Same deal as bearings. A lot of us have our preferences but generally speaking, as long as it’s not a flat bearing, I’m fine with whatever bearing comes with the throw. The bearing won’t hold you back. And if you really hate the bearing for some reason, you can always buy a different bearing. Also generally consensus seems to be that ceramic is nice but not at all necessary and a lot of people don’t see a difference in performance. My general rule regarding bearings: if it spins, it’s in.

4 Likes

I love my Civility and was very, very happy to sell my Shutter wide angle. Everyone has their own preferences though.

3 Likes

The Civility appears to be discontinued (and out of stock).

1 Like

Well, no wonder the wa shutter is degraded over the civility. the civility is made by yotricks and the shutter is made by yyf. so yotricks made their product look better than wa shutter. is my theory correct?

1 Like

now i have another issue. should i get the canon or the shutter wa? if I get the canon it unlocks 3a and 5a tricks. but I also want the shutter at the same time. and the canon doesn’t have a ceramic bearing. it just says center trac bearing. while the shutter wa have ceramic center trac bearing. which one is better?

Go for the UNPRLD ReCognition

Cheaper and one of the Best Monometals in the Price Range.

7 Likes

I strongly recommend using plastic yoyos for 3A and 5A at first. These yoyos will collide with the ground, each other (and/or a counterweight) a lot, and you might as well do all that damage to plastic yoyos. Moreover, I would just concentrate on 1A for a while and worry about the other styles later. For the most part, any yoyo you become comfortable with in 1A will be perfectly good for 5A as well. All of the recommendations mentioned so far would be excellent for 1A/5A.

3 Likes

One Drop did the machining of the Civility in the USA. It FEELS like a One Drop too.

4 Likes

Oooh, that makes sense, I thought the nut-axle setup looked familiar!

I can also highly recommend the ReCog, one of my favorite monometals to date, probably my favorite in that price range. The Elevation (by UNPRLD as well) is also fantastic.

1 Like

get the recog i just got it and it is my fav mono metal at the moment i also have the cannon and it is good as well @annoyingorange12355

1 Like

I think you are starting to overthink this. Also as far as I know the Shutter WA comes with a regular center trac just like the Canon (I have both, and both came with CT bearings). Also, like others have said, bearings don’t make an appreciable difference. I do however think that you will like centering over flat bearings, but as far as ceramic goes, it doesn’t make a difference in a yoyo. Ceramic bearings were designed to dissipate heat as quickly as possibly, so they are more effective in applications where heat build up is an issue (this is not the case with a yoyo).

As for the Shutter WA vs Canon, both play very different. If I were looking at a primary 1A yoyo, id would probably put the Canon aside. Also don’t let the advertising strategies get too far into your head; any 1A yoyo could be used to play 5A and 3A. I bought the Canon as my first metal yoyo and it really is a fine yoyo. It is very stable, long enough spinning, but it is slightly sluggish on the string and plays more like a casual EDC for 1A. But this is what makes it especially good for 5A. But the Shutter WA plays like you took the training weights off and can really just soar through your tricks. This yoyo gets a lot of flack, and at first I thought it was boring, but It has a reliable and nimble softness to it that can either be played by a casual intermediate or an aggressive advanced player. It would be laughable to think that a Shutter WA would be a limiting yoyo based on what Gentry has done with it.

In the long run, getting gud isn’t about the yoyo, but the player. Any of the yoyos mentioned will do the job. My suggestion (im assuming you are a teen with limited funds) is to buy the Shutter WA and a pack of bulk string like Kitty (or maybe Sochi, never tried it), and just practice as much as you want. You are also going to want to research how to clean your bearing when it inevitably starts to make noise and eventually interfere with spin, but for the most part all you need is a yoyo and strings.

5 Likes

From the YoTrick Kickstarter,

Although we are fans of One Drop yoyos, One Drop did not participate in the production of the Civility Yoyo.

Colin Leland was the designer for both the Project and Civility, that’s why they look similar. But the Civility is manufactured by someone else.

4 Likes

Basically almost any good 1a yoyo will also make an okay 3A/5A. I had a tendency to over analyze things when I was younger myself but most modern throws will do what you need, and I’ve tried about every type of bearing and although there are small differences I’ve never really had a bearing hinder me much unless it was outright defective or needed to be cleaned badly.

Huh. Somewhere I read wrong or misunderstood something. The Civility is still a very fine yoyo in my opinion.

2 Likes

The only reason I wanted the Civility was that it had a good bearing. The Shutter Wide Angle bearing costs $5.00 while the Civility bearing costs $25.00. Major price difference.

You should buy a yoyo for the yoyo, not the bearing.

Besides, most yoyos work great with almost any bearing. There’s very little benefit to a $25 bearing compared to a $16 or $10 or $8 bearing.

8 Likes

Please try to keep in mind that Gentry Stein won Worlds 2019 using, from what I understand a stock Shutter Wide Angle. Several years earlier, he won Nationals using a stock Replay Pro he took off the YoYo Factory merchandise table at that contest. As @MarkD said, pick the yoyo you want because of the yoyo, not because of a replaceable part. From reading through the thread, it feels like you are doing the equivalent of choosing a car due to the spark plugs the manufacturer chose to include.

I’m not trying to be a grumpy old man (that comes naturally to me), but, remember, yoyo is a skill toy, any that you are considering are more than sufficient to take you to the highest skill level, provided you put in the work. With all the yoyos you mentioned, and most modern yoyos, they are only as good as what is connected to the slip knot :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I feel sorta bad for anyone who has fallen in love with ceramic bearings costing $25 a pop. Think of the yoyos you could buy for the money spent on just a few of those things! Oy!

4 Likes

It just takes a while of being in the hobby to learn all the great lessons shared. In my Top Deck ($80) I think I have a concave bearing that came out of a cheap Magicyoyo and that Top Deck plays more awesome than my skills deserve.

2 Likes

Every yoyo I own plays more awesomely than my skill justifies

8 Likes