Which Smarthphone is great to film yoyo videos?

Hello everyone,

My Google Pixel 4 is becoming quite old, I am filming all my reels and videos with it but the quality is not the greatest (also because I film myself alone and sometimes with the editing software I need to zoom on the trick and I can see the video grain which drives me insane) so I would like to update my phone.

I am not fuss about software characteristics and stuff, I know basically nothing about phones but I would like one that has a great camera for videos (about photos I care a bit less).

I was leaning toward the Samsung S23 Ultra and the Google Pixel 7 pro, I never had an Iphone before but I am also open to it.

I seen some youtube videos but all the reviews and comparisons are mixed so I feel a bit lost.

If there are some tech people or smartphone lovers I would love an hand with the choice!

3 Likes

ive been enjoying my modestly priced samsung A53
the camera is great considering its not a “flagship” phone,
it even has slo motion

im sure if you want to spend the money the higher end S23 is even better though

for the most part lighting makes a bigger difference tha cameras once you get to a somewhat decent quality,
I would suggest getting a light and some neon yellow string if you want to make videos indoors

1 Like

This is what I usually do (also I basically use only neon yellow strings), I just would like to improve the image quality in general.
My instagram if you want to take a look is: Alberto Rojch (@waltz.romantic) • Instagram photos and videos

While not super savvy when it comes to phones (I don’t change them till they die :joy:) I can give you some tips on filming and lighting when we meet. Commercial photographer here :camera_flash:

2 Likes

you should probably get a smartphone with a 0.5 zoom camera

1 Like

I have the pixel 6. I love it for having amazing photos and the cleanest software (no bloatware), fast updates, abd just an overall fast speed for my purposes. I don’t game, and the video quality is likely not as good as others, but it’s not horrible. I’m holding out for the pixel 8, just afraid that the swap to another brand will be disappointing

1 Like

I was thinking about that I enjoyed my overall experience with the Pixel 4 it is a good phone, I was thinking to wait the 8, don’t mind to change to another brand honestly as I wanted to upgrade the camera.
Buy a camera itself is out of question for me, I do not have a computer able to edit a video and I see is quite easy to do everything with your phone

1 Like

With any tech it’s all preference and budget.

All of the main line models of the major brands use equivalent hardware. Pick your platform your most comfortable with and budget you are willing and able to spend then find the device that fits.

Sounds like you prefer android so pick whatever fits your budget. Your current experience is google flavored snd Samsung has a few UI specific differences so I would stick with what you know snd pick te model within the pixel line that fits your budget for the device.

I wouldn’t buy a phone specifically for yoyo video lol. Any device with a camera can honestly do that just fine.

The way I see a phone it’s going to impact all the peripheral choices you have to an extent. Choosing a smart phone is choosing a platform for all those things to ride on IE smart watch, earbuds, chat apps and video calls, backups and video / picture storage. So many services and devices that technically could be used cross platform but are easier when native. So I always recommend first choose is platform then budget then nitpick your specs. Color and phone are lowest priority as you can always put a skin or case on the device (unless your an apple or no case person then there’s no reasoning with you.)

Once I switched to the Pixel 2XL some years ago I was blown away by it. I got the Pixel 4XL now myself and videos seem a little outdated sometimes. It depends on circumstances alot it seems.

I’m not the biggest fan of the iPhone camera due to the weird stuff it does color wise. However video wise its been really good as a quick on the go camera for short clips of folks at club, lots of fun stuff you can do with the 0.5 wide angle view. I use the 13 rn and its been solid as a phone after my long stint with OnePlus and their 6t. Sadly it seems they have gone down hill since then.

2 Likes

My iPhone 14 Pro goes from .5x to 3x with optics. The processing algorithms are paramount with phones. The software does very well with clearing up images and moving focus in videos. Supposedly, the image density is 52 Mega Pixels which is a lot.

The pending iPhone 15 is supposed to have up to 6x with optics which will even be better.