Which ceramic/ ceramic hybrid bearing is THE one to have?

I’m asking for advise from people who have EXPERIENCED multiple types of ceramic/ hybrid bearings.

Are there some that are quieter than others? Are they worth buying/ using? Which is THE one to have?

None of them IMO.

2 Likes

Why’s that? I’ve heard that they are loud

Basically there is no benefit – we already have obscene spin time from high quality metal bearings, and ceramic can be fragile, plus noisy to boot… and expensive. There are only downsides.

3 Likes

Pretty much what I thought. I just wanted some opinions

The only ones I have came with the yo-yos as a bundle thing. I’d never, ever buy a ceramic bearing.

(They can be fun on Titaniums to make them more sing-y)

2 Likes

Too expensive for me and requires way too much maintenance than other bearings.

1 Like

One reason you might try a ceramic, is that they often seem ever so much smaller in ID. If you have a yo-yo with loose posts, and it’s vibey, a ceramic bearing might help.

If you have caustic body chemistry, or live in an excessively humid and/or salty-air environment, and you find your SS bearings rust; ceramic bearings would be a good choice.

Also, you can clean them with just dish soap and water. (Weird, that’s the second time I’ve typed that in an hour.)

I think it’s cool to have a couple to experiment with. The Buddha Dimple is nice and reasonably priced.

All the above pertain to full ceramic only.

7 Likes

I’m not sure why everyone thinks ceramic bearings are loud. Perhaps they’re not all the same. I have only tried one, and it’s definitely one of the quietest bearings I’ve ever used. It also seems to perform very well, at least as well as my other bearings.

I’m not sure which one it is, though. It’s a concave one that came with my Death Robot MG. I haven’t tried any other ones. I put Crucial grooved bearings in most of my throws, unless they have a concave in there already. So far, though, my experience with ceramics has been nothing but positive.

Sure, ceramic bearings can break if you drop them. That’s true. But what can I say? Don’t drop them.

2 Likes

So it’s just a simple concave, full ceramic?

A little research shows it came stock with an OD 10 ball.

1 Like

A picture is worth a thousand words. Here are two :wink::

5 Likes

Have you tried this bearing in a 6065 or 7075 aluminum yoyo? Is it equally as quiet?

I have not, no. But I can try it tomorrow and let you know. :+1:

1 Like

Full ceramics run without any lube; pretty much make any yoyo louder. The bearing can be loud by itself.

An unlubed ceramic in a Titanium yoyo will sound even louder.

And can even be louder yet; depending on what Titanium yoyo you put it in.

The Configuration of the Luftverk 000 actually acts as a sound amplifier. The combination of the 000 and Ceramic; makes for one screaming yoyo.

My girl actually asked me not to throw it in the house because it scares the cats… and to Karen; it has the same unappealing effect as fingernails on a blackboard. Hahaha.

I have several white full ceramic bearings from here and there; and I don’t even know mostly the ‘where’?

I have had a few that died in less than an hour. I have a few that have lasted so long; I don’t even remember except that I know I have had them for sometime.

I have had white ceramics that were quiet… that were quiet for a few days and then started Screaming until I lightly lubed them… and I have ceramics that started squealing immediately. And kept squealing no matter what I lubed them with.

Understand that ceramic bearings are not even really made of ceramic. They are made from Silicon Nitride.
The Word ‘Ceramic’ was implemented as a better marketing name for the products made of such.

Just because some folks would tell you that ceramic bearings require less maintainence; does not mean that running then completely dry is good for them. Ceramic bearings in motion; are still being subjected to direct contact/friction between component parts.

From what I have used over the years; whether its a full ceramic or hybrid; regardless of price; mine have been a tossup.

You basically just end up playing the winners and trash canning the losers.

15 Likes

Excellent report doc, thank you.

2 Likes

That’s true! The sides are like speaker cones!

2 Likes

Lol yep definitely the case

1 Like

As promised, I tested it out on a couple of throws today. The first one was a C3yoyodesign - Fingerspin (6061 aluminum). The second was the C3yoyodesign - Krown St (7068 version). In both cases, the bearing was pretty quiet, at least for my standards. Yet in both cases, the stock bearing was quieter. In fact, the bearing already placed in the Krown was almost dead quiet.

Let me mention here that I’m not the original owner of the Death Robot. I bought it from someone else, so I’m not sure if there was any lube in the bearing. I usually don’t put lube unless the bearing becomes loud. So, it’s entirely possible that the ceramic could become even quieter.

Note to self: Do not attempt these tests on C3yoyodesign yo-yos. The bearing seat is extremely tight.

4 Likes

I received a flat one with a Tihawk and could not get that one to cooperate in any throw I tried.
I received a concave in my TiSS hummngbird and loved it. Enough that I contacted Yiyang and bought a bunch of them.
My results have been they may be slightly noisier, but can quiet down with a bit of lube blown out with my compressor, or I’ve put them in new and they were slightly more noisy, but quieted down after 10 or 15 minutes time.
They seem to have one side I D slightly larger than the other, and I won’t put them in if it is too tight.
As far as how they play I feel they have improved some and play the same in others, maybe even slightly worse in one, but I haven’t given that one time yet.

3 Likes

Like I said, the Buddha Dimple I got is nice. As a matter of fact, the SS Buddha bearings I got were great too. The Ceramic one is a pretty quiet, I dry lubed it. It makes a more pleasing sound than SS IMO.

I only played briefly with the Ceramic that came with my 000. I don’t remember it being super loud, but I knew I wanted to play it at home, and it was noisy enough not to fly with the missus! I actually put a OD 10-ball in the 000, and I’m liking that.

Which again brings me to: Ignore the naysayers. Get a couple different ones. It’s something you should just try for yourself. You never know when one might make for the perfect setup combo. As @yoyodoc pointed out, you might get a dud, but you might get some really good ones.

Maybe you’ll want to play with your yo-yo on the beach, and don’t want to worry about salt water… :smiley:

Edit: OK, I take back liking the flat bearing in the 000. On this yo-yo it creates a bit of a crevice that the string can catch in, causing it to rub against the yo-yo half. Still, the sentiment is the same, it’s fun and nice to have different combinations to try.

3 Likes