Where can you buy sodium hydroxide(lye)???

i want to use it to chemically remove the anodizing on my yoyo and i heard that this chemical was the way to go for that. or another chemical that is similar.

or you could just sand it off with sandpaperā€¦

1 Like

But it might be harder to satin it though, would take more time and material.

also, I wouldnā€™t recommend using sodium hydroxide. It will actually etch the aluminum, leaving the metal kind of a matte silver colour, instead of a shiny metal colour.
The best chemical compound to remove anodization is this:
80 grams chromic acid in 3.5 liters of water
add 140 ml of phosphoric acid, then add water to make it 4 liters.
Heat the bath to around 200 degrees fahrenheit.

Put the yoyo in for about 15 minutes, then take it out and rinse it well with water.
or so I read from the first website I found when googling how to remove anodization.

Really though the easiest way is to just hook it up to a drill or lathe, spin it, and take sand paper to it.

I use lye all the time on yoyos and have had only excellent results. Just have to know how to use it.

I will strip and make your yoyo nice and shiny (or AngelDustā€™d) for $15.

if you polish it after you you deanodize it with auto sol youl be fine. here is a link http://www.28spin.com/news/?p=253

Iā€™m probably going to stick my foot in it here, but my feeling is if you donā€™t know where to find it, you probably shouldnā€™t be using it in the first place.

3 Likes

Im asking because iā€™ve checked around at a couple hardware stores near me and i couldnā€™t find any. I just wanted to check to see if anyone knew where i could obtain some so it could make my search easier. I didnā€™t ask for your opinions. Thank you.

Too bad, we will give you opinions. Deal with it.
Donā€™t do it.
Sand it, finer grit, polish. Bam, shiny stuff, which is what you want, same result. Not dangerous.

Done

J

ok thanks.

Hmm, that sounds too tempting to let that just pass.

I got an item coming in I want stripped to be prepared for paint or powder coat or some other process(a mis-matched gnarwal) and am trying to get a BVM and will need the same thing done.
(I canā€™t stand CLYWā€™s color stuff but I just gotta have those two items)

Whatā€™s this "AngelDustā€™d process? Tell me more!

lye likeā€¦ for crystal meth?..nothignto contribute sorry but dont use sandpaper as there is a much larger chance of effecting play

itā€™s really hard to mess up play by satining with sand paper. likeā€¦ you have to remove quite a bitof material to make noticeable vibe.
my first time satin was as smooth as it was beforehand.

and lye is used for curing foods, processing textiles, making soap, cleaning drains/ovens, among other things. but I guess itā€™s used in the production of that as wellā€¦

You can order it off amazon if you canā€™t get it at home depot. Itā€™s used to make bio diesel as well as in candle making. So you might try an arts and crafts shop like Hobby Lobby or Michaelā€™s. If you do buy it BE CAREFUL. It does burn the crap out of you. Not like in fight club that was exaggerated but it still burns.

I used to make homemade soaps so I had the problem of finding 100% pure lye. There is a small hardware store near me that carried it. Most of the lye you find now has added ingredients to help combat Meth making labs.

For stripping annoā€¦does it have to be 100% pure? I was thinking of maybe getting a couple of knockoff company throws to practice this with.

If you using lyeā€¦ use gloves and use it outside. Add lye to waterā€¦not water to lye! Donā€™t breath in over the water / lye mixture (you will know when you do that). Have a big bottle of White Vinegar around in case of spills or splashes.

Iā€™m amazed at the lack of discretion shown in this thread. The stuff you guys are talking about is -incredibly- dangerous and there has been hardly any mention of safety. The chemicals youā€™re talking about could seriously harm or even kill you if not properly handled.

Sanding is THE safest way to remove anodizing. Doing it on a lathe or drill press guarantees you wonā€™t cause vibration, and doing it carefully means you wonā€™t destroy tolerances.

Chemical stripping anodizing from a yoyo is a horrible ideaā€¦

Kyle

1 Like

As Kyo said, NEVER use lye to chemically strip a yoyo. Lye can remove anodize, but since anodize is already tougher than aluminum, the lye can also start eating the aluminum, and most of the time, the lye eats the aluminum unevenly thus, causing the yoyo to have a vibe or wobble. But, if you still insist on using lye, http://compare.ebay.com/like/320517810916?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar Go nuts.

I was wondering about that since one of the ingredients to the impure lye is sometimes aluminum. I still have 2 bottles of pure lye that are just sitting around since I donā€™t make soaps anymore. So hard to find pure in stores now. Guess I will use them if I ever have a drain clogged.

I did have a coated aluminum muffin pan ate up by a lye reaction but it took about 12 hours to show. Not from a pure lye mix contact but from a cold process soap mix.

If you donā€™t have a good working knowledge of working with chemicals, just get you some sandpaper. .

Good point. I didnā€™t really think about the danger aspects of using it, moreso just the unnecessary difficulty as compared to satining.

But on that note:
http://craftblog.stitchingthenightaway.com/488/the-dangers-of-lye-and-what-it-means-for-soap-crafters/

and just one excerpt from that that I think deserves a bit more notice:
ā€œLye reacts with a number of metals. When combined with aluminum, magnesium, zinc, tin, brass, and several other metals, it produces hydrogen gas, which is explosive.ā€