When should I start selling strings?

do yall think that should sell some string on here or wait to get a website u and running?

• SELL HERE
  • WAIT FOR WEBSITE

0 voters

1 Like

You might want to read this rules post:

5 Likes

ok I had no idea about this thank you for telling me

3 Likes

No problem, just giving you a heads up

3 Likes

The simplest way to do it is link to your instagram page, and make a post saying to DM you for strings. That way you don’t need to make a store until you’re ready for it.

2 Likes

Try just trading strings with other people. The thing about strings is EVERYONE has the ability to make them. Not an exaggeration, literally everyone can make a string if they have any interest in it.

There’s also a lot of people making strings already, and (no offense intended) yours probably aren’t that special if you just started making them (I know my first strings weren’t). It takes time to get some really good ones and the best way to get better is to compare what you’re making to what other people are making.

19 Likes

I’ve start a website but its not up yet today i think i finished it but i have to stock up on some strings

1 Like

If you haven’t already, also think about not just how your strings stack up vs other string companies but also how they will stand out. I don’t mean this as a discouragement to you or anyone but there are so many string companies on the market right now—both boutique and bulk—that they honestly run together for me. As a consumer, I kinda have my brands at this point and unless there’s a compelling reason to change.

So why should I switch to Mongoose? What makes Mongoose stand out from Zipline, Airetic, YYSL, Markmont, Lifeline, Dragon, OD Deep Cuts, Plutonium etc? Basically, as a consumer, why should I care about Mongoose?

Sorry if that sounds harsh. I’m rooting for you and Mongoose Strings. But when it comes to dishing out money, IMO this is gonna be the consumer’s thought process.

So IMO neither option; don’t launch your brand yet unless you’ve worked out those questions already. Work on your formula and your go-to-market strategy. If you haven’t already, try as much string as you can. Give away/trade/sell your string personally as much as possible until you perfect your formula and how you’re going to stand out in the crowded string market. Then, once you have the string you want to represent Mongoose Strings, launch the brand. That way, your brand launches as strong as possible.

5 Likes

The most solid thing to do for a startup is to get some samples out there and keep improving until you can get the hype fire going. Kinda like Airetic

Though I’ve got some on the way to me so I may well be the first to rave about it lol

2 Likes

I just want to reiterate what the others have said and say that it’s definitely in your best interest to give away a bunch of freebies as testers, so that people can get the strings in their hands and see what they’re like.

I know personally I’d never try a new string brand unless I had reason to believe they were a better place to put my money than what I use currently.

8 Likes

ok that what im going to do at nat im going to make as mutch string as i can and then i will take them to nats and give them out

3 Likes

thank you for telling me this I have not put mutch thought into this and to be honest the only yoyo string brand that I’ve ever bought from is kitty but I’m still make string in tell I get better and better I’m still going to sell them but like you said I need to find what makes them stand out from other string brands

4 Likes

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet, in regards to standing out and building hype, is to take and post some relatively higher quality pictures of your string. The difference it makes on social media is kind of crazy. If you don’t have a decent camera, it might be worth investing in one. All of the above mentioned brands have incredible shots of their strings and color ways.

4 Likes

Great idea man.

1 Like

this is truth right here. My first cotton strings were a step above trash (I only played them because I was so proud I made my own string). It takes awhile to get good, and, even when you are good (I’m not implying I am), you may find that for a host of reasons people don’t buy them. I saw one boutique string company come on the scene a few years ago, their strings were amazing. They didn’t last. That made me sad.

2 Likes

ok i see what your saying when I first started making strings I only play with them because I was the one that made them and I was proud of that but after them only lasting 1 hour I stop and the experimented and know I play them because they’re the best strings that I’ve ever played, but there are probably better string like zipline dragon stings, etc…

1 Like