When Is A Trick Learned?

back when i was learning tricks like spirit bomb, cold fusion, and and whut, i tried to see if i could call when i would land it. basely, i count knowing a trick when you can do it once. mastering the trick is when you can do it in front of a crowd, completely understand the trick itself, and do it on command.

for me, I can say that I have learned it if my body remembers what to do and I donā€™t need to think very much, but mastering it is when I can show it to other people

p.s. it is more difficult when you show it to someone, or even your friends. I already try to perform some tricks and almost 70% of those fail.

I liked Studio42ā€™s three phases. I might add a fourth one- when I can pick up any unresponsive yoyo I want and do the trick with it. (Squirrel, etc) I know some of you have probably invented some tricks that have 8 layers of string in the gap that can only be done on certain yoyos, but for everything Iā€™ve done, the trick is mastered when I can do it on whatever yoyo happens to be in my pocket.

PS - Though I enjoy practicing with fixed axles every week, I still canā€™t do many tricks with wood. Ed is my heroā€¦

I have tried that (just used a counterweight setup and changed hands), it is really fun and you would be suprised how easy it isā€¦some tricks are reduculiously hard to do that way though.

this is an important phrase by band teacher used to sayā€¦ ā€œamatures practice till they get it right, but professionals practice till they cant get it wrongā€

i cant even begin to tell how true that really is, but it dosnt mean you cant move on then come backā€¦

When you get it without thinking about it.

I think Iā€™m doing phase 4 without even knowing it. Once I can do the trick, Iā€™ll switch yoyos. Go from the DM2 to something else, also large, often a Code 1. Iā€™ll try it on all my yoyos that are unresponsive. Once I am pretty much nailing it on anything, I feel Iā€™ve got it.

Right now, I just got a Phenom and that sucker spins like forever(for me).

As typical, I start my throwing session with going over stuff I do know. Right now, Iā€™m going backwards a bit and working on Drop In The Bucket, while I also am working on The Matrix.(Iā€™m not doing the ferris wheel portion of the Matrix, but I think in a few days Iā€™ll be there). Drop in The Bucket is coming along now thanks to some recently help(TMCertifiedā€™s tutorial). Consistency isnā€™t there yet. Iā€™m finding some of my problem is now that maybe my hands are too darn small! However, that just means more practice. Iā€™ve landed it 10 or more times in my brief session with the Phenom(my normal practice yoyo is my DM2), so Iā€™m making positive progress.

Unlike many of you who are fortunate for having the ability to pick this up fast, for me, everything is a fight and a struggle. Not that this is bad, it just means for me when I get it, the rewards are that much greater. I donā€™t have to remind myself ā€œhey, this is supposed to be funā€, because even if Iā€™m having a horrific time on a trick, Iā€™m still having fun. Every disaster brings me a tiny bit closer to success. But when I get frustrated, I move back to something I can do, build myself back up, then move forward again.

I enjoy learning new tricks. It makes all the hard work worth it This is something I do for me. Even once I learn a new trick, I have to keep going back and make sure I havenā€™t forgotten something from earlier. I actually forgot Split The Atom so I had to go back to re-learn it. It was the second underpass that I forgot. ā€œOK, I went under, now what goes back?ā€

Every day I learn something new.

Ah yes, what I do is when I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is do the new trick before getting breakfast, changing, get my morning coffee, or taking a shower.

Then I know I absolutely have the trick in the bag.

Iā€™ve always thought when you can do it 10 times in a row youā€™ve got it learned.

Thatā€™s the thing about tricks is that if you do something that seems complicated and amazing to you, someone will ALWAYS say ā€œcan you do walk the dog!?!?ā€ and I have to decline because Iā€™m using an anodized metal yoyo :confused:

When you can do it without seeing the stringā€¦ smacks face multiple times

i think Iā€™m OK with muscle memory

Hmmā€¦ Iā€™ll try it!!!

Iā€™m backā€¦ ouchā€¦ groanā€¦ push blame
JK.
Iā€™m trying to get trough the Master level tricks. Itā€™s going along fine. Or was. Until I closed my eyes and doom beset me. :wink:
Iā€™ve basically been learning a trick a day. I wonder why I didnā€™t learn then beforeā€¦

Iā€™m kinda the same way, I started working on the trick list then stopped. Now, Iā€™ve gone back to try and learn the advanced section and I found that I was able to learn like 3 or 4 tricks in one day. I stopped learning new tricks for probably the last two months or so and just did the same ones over and over and got them super good. Then when I went back to the list I found that they are a heck of a lot easier now. Which is awesome!

I had a similar experience, although youā€™re further along than I am.

I had to take a break because when I started throwing, I also had a nerve pinched a bit and it was screwing with my right shoulder. Being right handed, well, my options were kinda limited. Then I had a show come up so I just stopped throwing for 2 weeks. After the show and my 2 day recovery(rest the back), things came back quick and better than before. Now, as far as learning more than one trick a dayā€¦ I got a ways to go before that happens. Right now, the slow and steady pace gets it done for me. Iā€™m smoothing out Ripcord, atomic bomb, now Drop In The Bucket and Mach 5, all while I move on to The Matrix. The Matrix is coming along except for the ferris wheel portion. I did shock myself twice doing Drop In The Bucket on an ultra-wide yoyo. I didnā€™t think I could open it up the ā€œbucketā€ that much. Cool!

I know plastic whip will be a challenge because itā€™s going into a totally different direction than what I am used to so far. It should be fun.