When did yo-yo become yoyo?

I have wondered about this for a few years. Most throwers spell it yoyo. Yoyo seems cooler. To me, if I go to Dollar Tree and buy an imperial shaped - it’s a yo-yo. If I refer to something from One Drop, it’s a yoyo. Any thoughts?

6 Likes

For me it was because back in the day all the stores/forums spelled it without the hyphen, e.g. yoyonation, yoyoguy, yoyos**, etc. though nowadays if I type it autocorrect usually changes it to yo-yo and I can’t really be chuffed to change it.

3 Likes

Prob cuz lazy

11 Likes

yo-yo is the correct, ‘preferred’ spelling so to speak… most hyphens were lost or stolen in the Great Grammar War of Giggity-Six, along with ampersand. the ampersand regained it’s mainstream use in and throughout its prior reign, the hyphen lost it’s place in the bastion in yo-yo… only to be in afterthought debated on yoyo forums such as this. interesting

10 Likes

eizt8ogmcmzqvw_retina
Here’s your missing hyphens

13 Likes

I dunno but my stupid phone always wants to autocorrect yoyo to yo-yo. It drives me crazy.

3 Likes

Who wants to type a dash when everyone knows what a yoyo is?

4 Likes

Yo is the noise it makes in my head when it hits the end of the string. So this is how I would define it.

0a: yo-yo
1a: yo
2a: yo-yo-yo-yo
3a: yoyo
4a: yoooo
5a: yo… oh sh*

10 Likes

Something about seeing ASCII art posted as a picture file bothers me.

3 Likes

To look hip and stay current with modern times I like to call my yo-yos…throws.

3 Likes

JoJos*

3 Likes

To save money and time on packages. Those hyphens can really add up in ink costs over time.

5 Likes

Good point!

Think of all the 1 or 2 cents you could save over the years! lol

1 Like

I decried it 10 years ago. So Be It… :speak_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

2 Likes

That settles it and is why 99.9% of serious makers and users use yoyo as a result. To me, a yo-yo is what little kids get as party favors and do not work or is so poorly designed that it most likely will turn a person away from yoyos for life.

1 Like