Please stop spelling yo-yos as yo-yo's

If you are one of these people that spells ‘yo-yos’ as ‘yo-yo’s’, then please stop.

The apostrophe indicates that ‘yo-yo’ owns something. Yo-yo doesn’t own anything.

That’s a load off this school teacher’s chest.

3 Likes

Relevant angry flower comic

2 Likes

Touche’

I’ve never really thought about that

But what if I’m talking about the yoyo’s string? Or the yoyo’s bearing?

3 Likes

I’ve never had any issues with this yo-yo’s performance. This yo-yo’s great!

3 Likes

I am glad that such trivial things as a typo do not bother me. Especially when you know exactly what they mean and what they are talking about.

Now if said typo prevented proper understanding of what one was speaking about, then sure, I get that. But an apostrophe where there should not be, does little to get in the way of following peoples intended messages.

1 Like

Or you could just call it a throw yo. Because its a yo that you throw. You know?

3 Likes

Hey there! Fellow school teacher here! And I honestly don’t care how people spell it cause the meaning is obvious :wink:

2 Likes

Seems I’m in the minority on this, but, I agree with Glenacius. Yes, in a world of SMS and Tweets we have accepted many liberties, but, perhaps we should try to avoid these ‘word crimes’ if for nothing else than to allow ourselves the practice of actual writing for communication.

Just the ranting of an old guy…now where is that punch card machine?

5 Likes

Return tops>>>yo-yos

1 Like

Correct. 2/2.

1 Like

Also correct. 2/2.

1 Like

Now that I’ve been instructed to, “stop doing it,” I find that I am compelled to do it. I have no choice! @glenacius_k Teacher you should know how this works by now. :grinning:

2 Likes

From one school teacher to another: shame on you.

5 Likes

Yeah it seems odd that as a teacher, you don’t care that kids (or people) learn. Wouldn’t expect you to go on a crusade about it but it irritates me and I’m not even a teacher. We’re in a bad enough spot already where using poor grammar is cooler than ever. “Why this boy do that” was a comment title I read earlier thinking I was going to read an explanation, but no, that is actually a question… question mark not included.

4 Likes

One of the kids in the class I’m currently teaching gave me this…15332800001549044375817875770696

5 Likes

Guess it’s time to re-teach apostrophe use.

3 Likes

This is relevant :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ease up there a bit now.

While education is important to me of course, I also understand the use of casual English versus proper, and I think there’s a time and place for both. On a Facebook or yoyo message board though? Not really something to let bother you and feel the ultimate need to gripe on about it. Heck, if I had a dollar for every time I heard one of my students using incorrect grammar during clean up and reccess, I’d be a very rich man.
Fact is, the yoyo world isn’t a class room, and there’s really no good in letting little things like that get to ya.
Just enjoy yoyos and have a little laugh to yourself when you see it!
:wink:
And from one teacher to another, learn to not take things too seriously. Been teaching K-5th for a couple years now and it’s been something I’ve learned that keeps me sane :3

There, their, they’re…