What's your favorite yoyo material?

I wanna hear your favorite whether it’s aluminum in general, specifically 7075 aluminum, or even TiSS.

I’m partial to the 6k aluminum series as that’s what I started with years and years ago. I also really love delrin as a material, it just feels great in my hand.

4 Likes

Leather

8 Likes

@KiLbUcK What in the name of tarnation?

As for my favorite material, that is easily the combination of 7075 Aluminium and stainless steel. A close second (or equal) would be 7068 aluminum and steel. As for mono-metals, I love 6000s grade aluminum (it’s cheap and fun)

5 Likes

I think I’ve heard of a yoyo with leather inside the cup, but a yoyo wrapped in leather sure would be interesting…

Unobtainium

More seriously I really love poly/stainless hybrids, which can offer absolute top notch performance at a low price, and it reminds me of yoyojam.

Whatever 6061 one drop uses, which I’m guessing similar was also used in other US made yoyos, has a unique feel to it.

A bimetal built to take full advantage of 7 series aluminum is probably the ultimate in terms or cost/performance, it can match anything TiSS that I’ve tried at far less cost. I’m not really sold on TiSS, the SS seems to dampen some of titanium’s best qualities and makes the cost skyrocket. I haven’t tried a doombot (TiBS?) or any of the high end Japanese TiSS, one of those might change my mind.

5 Likes

Plastic: POM (Delrin)
Metal: titanium

I can’t tell the difference between the various grades of aluminum, to be honest. I like the idea of using 7075 for its durability and the fact that the walls can be a little thinner so that you get more weight distribution possibilities, but other than that I don’t think I care what kind of aluminum is used.

And when it comes to wood yoyos, I don’t have enough experience with them to have a wood species preference.

2 Likes

This little rock sells for $20 million per kilo unrefined and $40 million per kilo refined. That’s an expensive little yoyo

2 Likes

I like delrin quite a bit.

2 Likes

Woodddd, specifically oak, maple, and zebrano

1 Like

Leather shopping

4 Likes

Fluffy yoyos!

1 Like
4 Likes

I bet if you used stacked leather like they do for knife handles and shaped it on a lathe you could get a somewhat usable yoyo…

3 Likes

It’s impossible for me to choose a favourite. They are all great in their own ways.

Not leather though.

5 Likes

It does require special lathe skills.

4 Likes

polished bone

honorable mention: antler

2 Likes

Same here. 7075 all day.

4 Likes

Titanium of course. So flex

1 Like

Mate, If I had a metal lathe, I’d set to turning Ti yoyos as soon as possible!

One day, fine I will be making custom titanium yoyos!

5 Likes

One drop’s feel is mainly based on the surface processing that they do, 6061 is 6061

2 Likes