What's up with the CLYW Yeti?

Okay, so it’s been a while since I’ve been on here, so forgive me if I’m completely missing out on something. I was in to collecting yo-yos for a while, but now I’m pretty much finished with it. I’ve kept my YYJ Classic and my Gen-Yo KLR, but other than that I don’t plan on buying any more throws. I remember when the Yeti came out it was a big deal. I’ve owned lots of CLYW metals and they have all been great throws for the most part. However, the Yeti was never really available to buy other than on eBay for much more than its retail price, and now I’m hearing that it will not be sold again until a new mold has been made.

As I said before, I don’t plan on buying any more throws in the near future, but for you guys who are like I used to be, I would be upset if I heard this news. Am I missing something, or was the Yeti sold as a defective product at retail price, and then sold for even more on eBay on the secondary market?

Again, I’ve never owned the Yeti, but I’ve heard bad things about it, and it seems that the last run will be the last run for the Yeti all together. CLYW’s metal throws are some of the best that I’ve used. I’ve never held the Yeti in my own hands, but do those of you who do own one think that it’s worth it?

I think it is worth it because the past run of the yeti were all done with a polycarbonate with glass
(Go to clyw ask.fm if you really want to know what it is go up with the materiaal and ask Chris or Steve.)
the original used spacers and from what I have read they won’t use the spacers Anymore
They will olso use a new plastic and because of that new plastic they had to make a new mold.
I think and hope that it will be good

So I am going to buy a big dipper when it is released and in april/may I will certantly buy a new yeti.

heres the thing with the yeti. Its an overhyped plastic yoyo. Thats all it is there is nothing hugely special about the yeti other then people hyped it out of this world.

The Yeti was a glass-fused plastic (pretty interesting feel) and was seemed to be a maintenance nightmare - from destroyed bearing spacers when cleaning the bearing to its habit of eating string due to some issues near the bearing seat.

I’ve cleaned the bearing on mine (successefully removed the so-called troublesome spacers without destroying them) and after doing a light sanding around the bearing seat, no issues with string cutting.

I enjoy my Yeti, but I will say there’s a ton more hype surrounding it there needs to be. Saw that one was selling a Yeti for $300 the other day, and had the nerve to tack on shipping on top of that. I seriously hope nobody’s foolish enough to throw down $300 for a plastic, even if it is unique.

1 Like

I saw that too and I couldn’t believe my eyes, especially when there are other Yetis currently listed in the $70-100 range, which is still over the retail price. Greedy sellers on eBay do this all the time thinking they are going to get some sucker to click buy it now not knowing any better. It usually only happens when whatever they are listing is the only one available at the current time though. I would guess that anyone searching for a Yeti on eBay knows a bit about yoyoing and a fair price to pay for it. I would love to try/own a Yeti someday, but I certainly won’t be paying $300 to do so. Thanks for your helpful response about its features and issues.

It’s a great yoyo I enjoy throwing. I’ve owned four, but never paid over retail for one.

I paid above retail for one, and that was second hand awhile back. I think it was $65 or $70. I traded above retail value for another one, about the same. And, I bought a few more from retail at some point. I never paid $100 or more for a Yeti, and I personally would not do that.

I agree with what’s stated above, that it’s “different,” and a nice player/collector. I don’t have anything that plays quite like it, so I have no regrets about buying it at all. It’s a nice player if you can get your hands on one at a reasonable price.