What's in a name?

Hello fellow YYE Forum members, I’d like to read some of your advice about a very minor issue I’m feeling conflicted about. I started yoyoing in late December 2017. Within the first few days I was lurking on this forum, but I didn’t create my account until March 2018. Prior to that, I took some pictures of my first few yoyos at work, and I thought having the cubicles in the background looked cool, which was weird since in real life the very same cubicles were depressing to look at for me. This inspired me to make an Instagram account with the concept of only posting pictures of beautiful yoyos in the sterile setting of my work office, and I named the account yoyo_cubicle. Once I joined the forum, I just used my IG handle as my account name. I had fun taking pictures of yoyos at work, and that was about the extent of it. Once the Covid lockdowns began in my area, I started working at home, and taking yoyo pictures mostly at home. That’s the way it’s been since, and will be going forward.

The other day my wife asked me “Why do you still use yoyo_cubicle for your name, you don’t even work in a cubicle?” I told her I’d think about changing the name, and I have. Here I am four years after creating that account, and without having planned for it, yoyo_cubicle has become my online yoyo persona, as almost none of you have met me in real life. I’m not super attached to the name, and I don’t necessarily want to be associated with cubicles. On the other hand, I’m still fond of my original concept, and will be keeping the cubicle setting yoyo pictures on my IG page.

Should I change yoyo_cubicle to a different name here on the forum? What about on my Instagram account? I’m asking you to complete this survey, and/or leave comments below, if you feel you want to offer me some advice. Thanks!

Should I change the name yoyo_cubicle? Please select the option that best matches your advice to me.

• Yes, but only change it here on the YYE Forum.
  • Yes, change it for both the YYE Forum and Instagram.
  • No, I like the name yoyo_cubicle so I’d rather you keep it.
  • No, for better or worse that’s what you’re known as around here.
  • LOL, who cares?

0 voters

4 Likes

Everyone will get used to the new name over time (even quicker if you put under your name “formerly yoyo cubicle”)

So if that is the main reason for questioning it, I’d proceed and change the name to whatever name you want.

Now if you’d prefer to keep the name and feel pressure by others, then yeah, keep it and always stay true to yourself, everyone doesn’t care as much about it as they imply at first, and they will quickly forgot anyway.

2 Likes

I’d keep it! It’s a cool name!

2 Likes

Coming up with online usernames is rough. It took me almost 12 years from the first forum account I made, to the point where I had found a consistent online username I wanted to use on all of my accounts (Mable/Mofuble when mable is unavailable). The only time I use anything else is when I’m on alt accounts that I don’t really want associated with the rest of my online presence at a glance (Instagram).

If you’re happy with your current username, just stick with it. Consistency is nice. Although if you’re second guessing it, just try out something new, almost nobody ends up with the perfect username on their first go. With the exception of people who just use their real names lol.

3 Likes

I suggest “Yoyo_Crucible” and just play like it’s ALWAYS been that while convincing people they just read it wrong :joy: because it’s close enough so it’ll give a “Mandela effect” type feel for some people :man_shrugging:t5:

4 Likes

A few years back I was logging into something and they assigned me a random handle until I set an actual screen name.

That random handle was Roman Soup, I laughed so hard at the sheer randomness and decided to keep it. :rofl:

And so… here I am… An Italian Broth.

4 Likes

I actually like it.

1 Like

Same here. Ebay randomly assigned Me mine. I got tired of trying to come up with a name using my real name Chris.

2 Likes

The most annoying thing ever was when the YYE forum software change happened around 2018, it wouldn’t permit two letter usernames anymore, so instead of “SR” (my first and last initials, AND the username I had here since 09), it automatically changed it to “SR1” :joy:

Have been stuck with it since. (I fully give mods permission to change my username to @Spence, as long as it doesn’t create any dead links)

1 Like

It’s all up to you and what you’re trying to be identified as online.

yoyo_cubicle is a name that came from your situation, now your situation has changed and you’re questioning the name choice.

If you’re trying to pick a name for the internet, not just the forums or a yoyo photography page… I would recommend that you instead try to choose your name off of you and your personality.

I choose Suspense as often as I can because it was a nickname given to me in middle school based off my given name. The other name I use outside of suspense (kinda too common) is a play on my middle name which is always available. Both are names I’ve been using for well over a decade on the internet and never feel like I’ll have to change them.

3 Likes

Thank you if you commented and/or voted. There were some very thoughtful suggestions, and some good humor too. Only 14% of voters thought I should change my username, so I’m not going to worry about it anytime soon. I’m adding my first name underneath for a small change. Thanks again and Happy Throwing!

7 Likes

Do you know how to change your name? I’m thinking about changing mine.

I’m not sure how to go about changing your username. It’s easy to change your name in the preferences tab, but I don’t see how to change the username. I thought it would be as easy as changing your name.

2 Likes

Same here. Thank you.

2 Likes

Just gotta ask a mod. I updated mine a few months ago no problem.

2 Likes