What yo yo should I get?

I really like the Lyn Fury after I siliconed mine. It spins long and smooth, has a great shape and wide gap, and looks sharp. Of the full plastics I own, it plays most like a metal.

The PSG is a cool throw. Mine is really noisy, but solid feeling and great playing. This yoyo is a bargain at the price. Great new transparent colors came out recently too.

Seriously though, consider extending your price range to get the Dark Magic 2. It will do everything and play with the best of them.

I have all three^ of those throws and he nailed it with all of them. After the lyn fury is siliconed it is AWESOME. Psg is good as well but if you can get a dm2 itā€™s prob your best choice.

Hereā€™s whatā€™s failing to be consisdered:

1: Budget. Why is the budget so low? That doesnā€™t mean you canā€™t get great yoyos for that money, weā€™ve proven that you can.

2: Lack of focus. While 1A and 5A can often be interchangable, 3A has different requirements, which means you should perhaps focus on a pair for 3A that can also work well for 1A and 5A if your budget is so tight.

3: The YYJ Classic is by far one of the most enjoyable yoyos I have played and provides best bang for buck. Versatile, adaptable, customizable and stupid affordable! Iā€™m also seeing them show up in competitions. The only drawback is you absolutely must replace the bearing, which is in part what keeps the cost down. You also are recommended to change the response, but you donā€™t have to once you change the bearing. I recommend changing the response.

3A:(oopsā€¦) but no, seriously. I saw Jayyo at CalStates and BAC throw it down a pair of PSGā€™s for his 3A and use them for 5A as well. Price is irregardless if the yoyo is an ideal fit for a player, or the player is sufficiently skilled where he doesnā€™t need to worry about it. Jayyo stole 3rd place with a clean performance at BAC.

For 4A, I still stand by my original recommendations of the Go Big and Fiesta XX, with my preferences being for the Fiesta XX. If budget is a concern, the Shinwoo Griffin Wing is an ideal choice. Wide, generous catch zone, great performance, but the caps can pop out when it bounces. Jayyo has been seen using these I think as well. I only mention Jayyo because he had a reputation for using inexpensive stuff yet turning out amazing performances. It is the player, not the equipment. I think the YYJ models I mentioned are better choices.

However, if you intend to be performing a lot, not to say your budget isnā€™t appropriate, you might want to start looking for stuff that may be higher in price, provided you get the feel and performance you want out of it. Donā€™t let the size of your performance mandate you can only use inexpensive stuff. If your budget is small, then that limits what you can buy, but doesnā€™t mean you have to buy junk either.

This is a good time for yoyo. Amazing QUALITY stuff can be had at nearly any budget, including the $25 and under mark youā€™re aiming for.

Iā€™d also suggest that you get yourself the 8-yoyo YYE Competition Case. 2 yoyos for 2A, 2 yoyos for 3A, 1 or 2 each for 1A and 5A, plus get a 4A throw and pop it in the outside pocket. With plenty of room for strings, lube and other accessories, youā€™re good to go.

I donā€™t see the Shinwoo Phoenix on YYE ._.

Okā€¦ but how do I ā€œsiliconeā€ a yo yo? And mom wonā€™t get me Dark Magic II

1: Ikā€¦But my parents are picky spenders. And are very hesitant to buy a yo yo(but if i impress them enough they might) thatā€™s like $50 or soā€¦
2: Wellā€¦ I want to learn 1A, 3A, and 4A but I might as well do all if thatā€™s what youā€™re suggesting? I just think those 3 are the coolest and I might have more fun withā€¦ Is it ok that people spread out and do all 5? Or should you just focus on one or two?
And ok Iā€™ll think about that yo yo bagā€¦ Right now my mom has been looking at yo yos and lubricant and string. More lube and string thoughā€¦ Why do I say $25? Because I have a $25 gift cardā€¦

Aw crushā€¦ I double postedā€¦
But on my list that Iā€™m more heading for:
C3-Alpha Crash since itā€™s under my bargain, and 6 people suggested itā€¦ YYJ- Lubricantā€¦ Poly Stringā€¦ YYJ-Classic since itā€™s under bargain(great!), and 2 people suggestedā€¦Adelge-PSG since itā€™s under bargain, and 4 suggestedā€¦ YYJ- Lyn Fury(gotta remind myself to silicone itā€¦ or whatever) since itā€™s under and it was suggested 3 timesā€¦

With the Classic, you need a full C sized bearing, so factor that into the costs. If you want to go on the inexpensive side, go for the YYE bearings as they are just fine. Donā€™t waste money on ceramics at this point, as youā€™ll blow your budget and then some on just the bearing.

Alpha Crash is currently out of stock, hopefully it comes back soon.

Hereā€™s how to silicone a yoyo using flowable silicone, one of many videos. Best? Well, one of the better ones.

So I seeā€¦ I looked at Accessories and I see that thereā€™s many kinds of bearings other than sizeā€¦ Which one do you suggest?

Thatā€™s a whole other debate.

Iā€™m typically fine with flat bearings and/or the stock bearings(which are usually flat). However, the Classic uses the N bearing(half width C bearing) and for unresponsive pay MUST be replaced.

Each bearing has its own characteristics. The YYE bearing gets the job done. SO does the YYF bearing. The YYJ Speed and OD 10 Ball both use 10 balls, and both are pretty decent, but the OD one tends to be quieter. I havenā€™t purchasing any General Yo bearings except for what came stock in my Essence and KLR and the Majesty(whenever it arrives). The Terrapin X bearings are great, come in flat and wing-cut versions. The wing cut versions play like a flat with the string centering characteristics of some of the shaped bearings but with more freedom of movement of the string.

So, weā€™re into shaped bearinsg now. The CBC CEnterTrac has raised edges to keep the string away from the response, yet the center portion is flat, allowing for more regular string movement.
The Crucial Grooved bearing has a very slight concave profile, but is noted by the groove in the center that the string sits in, holding in the center. The DIf-E-Yo Konkave has a concave shape that forces the string to the center, but this can also provide for bunching of the string. The Trifecta bearing takes the smoothness of the 10 Ball(recent ones I got did NOT have 10 Balls in it, only 8), the groove of the Crucial Grooved and a curved profile thatā€™s not as dramatic as the KK.

What you need to do is figure out what bearing works best for you in a particular yoyo. I found that for me, putting a KK in my Meteor and Speeder 2 really helped these yoyos come alive. However, when I did that to my Chaser, I didnā€™t like the results as much as the YYJ Speed Bearing it came with. I prefer my Burnside with a Trifecta. I have Terrpapin X wing-cut bearings in my DM2ā€™s. I have a Terrapin X ceramic in my LB Bassalope. Keep in mind what works best for me may not be works best for you. Flats tend to be less expensive and they do get the job done quite nicely 99% of the time.

But I canā€™t just decide which bearing Iā€™d like for my yo yo just by your summary? I have to try themā€¦
So I was looking at bagsā€¦ Andā€¦ I was wonderingā€¦ If I donā€™t want to carry all my yo yos in that Competition bagā€¦ The Ooch Yo yo Holder, and the Werrd Yo yo Holder. Are they both the same? Like is one better than the other? Have people had accidents with one and not the other? Or are they both the same but different looks?

Iā€™m glad you canā€™t decide what bearing to get based on my summary. You do need to try them.

Bags and holders:
The Ooch holder is essentially the same as the YYF sling holder. Use that for your off-string. I had the YYF one break. Iā€™m using a non-branded one right now for an off-string and I know itā€™s just a matter of time before it fails.
The Werrd holder is more like a silicone wrist band with a laser edged wooden bead. Itā€™s actually rather durable. They are not the same and both will break in time.

What Iā€™d recommend I am not allowed to discuss here. Youā€™ll have to PM me for that information. I have one on me at any yoyo meets I got to and darn near everywhere I go, yoyo related or not.

1 Like

Hmmmm, did I miss something here? Donā€™t YYJ classics come with bearings already? Why would you need to factor in the bearing cost??

Okā€¦ Wellā€¦ I was thinking of getting two of one so that I could carry two yo yos at one time instead of spend 18 bucks on a bag holderā€¦ But Iā€™ll get one of eachā€¦? So that if I do have my off-stringā€¦ Ok thanks!

Legacy 2!! I own one I love great for starting grinds somewhat smooth but can have a little vibe from time to time but otherwise great throw!

The YYJ Classic does come with a bearing but it is a slim bearing, half the size of the normal size C, it was meant for responsive play. You need to buy a bearing if you plan to use it for unresponsive play. Also, you might want to replace the orings with silicone or some pads.

My first question (I didnā€™t see it answered so Iā€™m going to ask), have you learned how to bind yet? I was in a similar situation a few weeks ago. If I was to order one yoyo to progress from starting to unresponsive play, I would recommend the YYJ Classic over the Alpha Crash and PSG. It is a great yoyo for responsive play and until you learn to bind, I would say its your best option. Also pick up a YYE size C bearing, I originally ordered a KonKave Bearing for it but I eventually moved that in to my Alpha Crash and using a flat bearing, from the Alpha Crash, for the Classic it did not change the play very much for me. I still use the classic when Iā€™m learning new tricks it seems extremely stable and spins very well and that helps me to learn the tricks I also am still using the stock response O-rings and dont have an issue with binding although Iā€™m hoping to silicon it soon.
I also ordered the 100 pack of yoyo expert poly white string its a little cheaper and can help keep you closer to your budget. Thats just my input. Good luck.

^great feedback. I havenā€™t got a classic but I would agree with him from what Iā€™ve heard.also, a lyn fury (around 15$) is also a great yoyo that is a good intermediate throw. when switched to silicone response it also can be an awesome non responsive throw. It comes with a c bearing and o rings stock so itā€™s semi responsive when stock. I would recommend a lyn fury to anyone regardless of the level of play theyā€™re at. Idk if someone else suggested it as well but if so they have my co sign 100%

Try a MagicYoYo yoyo. They make a bunch of awesome metals for a good, cheap price. I love my Desperado, but thatā€™s just my opinion.

Thanks, I know how to bind too.

Ermmā€¦ Like above, please give me explanation of why I should get itā€¦

well, for one it has all the things you listed that you wanted. Itā€™s smooth, durable, good for all levels of players (itā€™s made for advanced players, but Iā€™m a total beginner and itā€™s perfect for me) it looks great and itā€™s only about $19. Hope this helps!

Ok, great!
Can anyone list me what types of yo yo play each of these yoyos are good for:
Lyn Fury
Classic-YYJ
Yomega- Maverick
C3-Alpha Crash
Dark Magic II
DNA
Dv888
Protostar
Northstar?