What type of camera would be the best for yoyo videos?

I’m planning on making yoyo videos, tutorials & reviews. Would like to know which type of camera would suite all 3 types of video well. I’m on a budget of $500-700 & would like it to do well in low light as well.

I think any camera with 60 fps recording and option to chose fixed focus point. I am using gopro for simple yoyo videos with 60 fps 1080p and it looks perfect and you can make awasome tutorials with headstrap combined with some slowmo. Although I would not recomend it for reviews due to poor low light/indoor performance and wild focus ???

Would I need a cam with a large or shallow depth of field?

Smaller F Stops will be great for videos, because of the cool blurry background, but I think for tutorials and reviews higher F Stop is more suitable, because you want to have much more of the scene in focus. Depth of field is more of the lens thing though.

I recently got a Canon Vixia HF R700. It is a pretty good camcorder, somewhat good manual settings, especially for the price! It’s only about 300$ and the video quality is very nice.

So, should I choose a DSLR, mirrorless or a camcorder? Which type will handle reviews, tuts & videos best all round?

Try a cheap action camera, see if you enjoy making videos and then move on. I have the ld4000 for 40$, and it works amazing!

So, how would a mirrorless handle the types of videos that I’ve mentioned, given the fact that it’s the type of cam that interests me the most.

I would say if you want ease of use for a beginner for cheap, get a camcorder. If you want something that will take you farther (for a little more money), get a dslr. DSLRs are nice because it is a little more user controllable while camcorders handle some of the stuff on their own. Also a gopro is nice for tutorials.

Hope this helps!

How would a mirrorless do?

Well honestly I don’t know, I don’t have one nor have I tried one. Maybe this article will help:

it depends on which cameras we are talking about. I have the Fujifilm X-T1 which is okay for video, the built in audio however can’t handle loud concerts. A microphone with a volume dial might have worked in the one situation where I needed it.

There are other mirrorless cameras on the market that record better video than the X-T1, so Sony’s alpha cams, and even the Panasonic GH cameras can take better video, or so I have heard. This includes 4k video and whatever else they throw in there.

The X-T2 is coming out in September and it’s supposed to be a bigger leap in quality and resolution from the X-T1, including 4k video. I’ve seen some sample videos shot with it and it does look better, but I won’t know until I get one.

For video a mirrorless would almost always be your best bet, both the Panasonic g7 and gh3 are tried and true cameras that can handle low light much better than most camcorder/action cams. However go pros and such are easier to manage, they are also stuck with the super wide angle though. I could go more in depth but I’ll leave it at that haha.

What type of camera can do both blurred backgrounds (shallow depth of field) & clear backgrounds (large depth of field)?

Well, as CapeDoctor already said, the depth of field depends mainly on the lens you are using, not the camera. Lenses with a low aperture number will be able to create a more shallow depth of field, regardless of whether you mount them on a DSLR or a mirrorless camera (given the same size of the sensor used in the camera). In general, every budget DSLR will be fine for your needs (Like the Canon Rebel, for instance) if you are not interested in extreme slow motion. You should also consider buying a used camera body, you can save a lot of money if you get a model from one or two years ago. Fast (low aperture number) zoom lenses are unfortunately extremely expensive, but Canon as well as Nikon sell nice budget fixed focal length lenses like the 35mm/f1.8 (~100$ used), which might be a nice starting point.

But before you buy any expensive equipment, I would also recommend getting some cheap action camera/webcam/whatever records videos and try if you actually enjoy it.
(And do some more reading on photography in general. There’s actually an article about recording yoyo videos: http://yoyonews.com/2014/10/15/yoyo-videography-tips-tricks-cheats/)