What to do with a responsive yoyo...?

Like any other person, I love yoyos…
So I got a subscription to The Monthly Throw.
In fact, to make it more spicy, I actually got my wife a subscription to The Monthly Throw!
She gets the package, and spreads the items around the house as surprises. We’re having fun.

But today, I discovered a MK1 x Spinworthy Harbinger under my pillow.
I’m a one A unresponsive trick pony!
What do people actually do with responsive yoyos?
Any channel suggestion?

14 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6O-cQLJllO/

Just have fun with them

13 Likes

Work on your regens yo! Also stalls and all that newer style play is super fun! Kickflips are one of my top 5 favorite tricks of all styles.

10 Likes

You can become a boomer! I mean we also like unresponsives and junk. We have been collecting links to videos for modern responsive on the boomer YouTube for a bit https://youtube.com/@yoyoboomerclub?si=UyYgl4NT5lOKbHr5

Also could check out the MRM videos for trick ideas

4 Likes

do tricks?

1 Like

Play catch with yourself.

5 Likes

My favorite responsive yoyo tricks are:

1. Tape measures (should be easy to learn for someone with experience in 1a already)
  2. Trapeze stalls (and the more advanced tricks you get from them, like zipper stalls)
  3. Shoot the moon (takes a while to work up to this, lol)
4 Likes

Take a look at this years Fixed Axle February and Mondern Responsive March Events.

Tutorials and you can see what “Others” do with them.

That Harbinger can do every trick from both events…

3 Likes

I like my responsive yoyos plastic but Harbinger is supposed to be a fantastic metal. You can do almost as much with it as you can with shrimp.

Stalls, kickflips, regens is a whole huge genre of yoyo play, then your basic easier string tricks like cold fusion and whatnot that you should be able to do on any bearing yoyo, push it a little further and get your skin the gerbil on and once you’re ready go for kwijibo, spirit bomb and other stuff with pops in it, then slack stuff is cool and you can do your looping yoyo stuff thats fun like hop the fence, planet hops, punching bags or shoot the moon which is always a great trick, sidewinder DNA, those crazy starts where you let it just wind back up and I know someone posted a video of that bandalores guy that does all kinds of crazy stuff.

Me? I suck at a lot of things I just said. I just do very simple stalls and regens and tie those into the string tricks I mentioned. Throw in a bunch of shoot the moons if the ceiling is high enough where I am and some hop the fences/planet hops here and there and I’m good. Any string strick involving a break away you can start from no spin with a snap start into hop the fence and regen into the breakaway (or into shoot the moons before the regen).

2 Likes

What a perfect throw to discover responsive throwing with.

It can take you as far as you wanna go, if you let it.

1 Like

What to do with a responsive yoyo?

(Sorry guys it was too tasty to don’t do it but I am joking :heart:)

9 Likes

I don’t understand that as soon as the yoyo is responsive, its almost alien.

Just pick it up and throw stuff with it. Experiment.

6 Likes

Thanks for all the ideas, links, advices and jokes :slight_smile: I’ll try all this and tell you about my probably slow progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nice reference :joy: Currently, I can only do about as much with a responsive yoyo as you can with maybe kale.

2 Likes

I made a video like last week with some good tricks to start with for responsives.

I learned all of these tricks by participating in Fixed Axle February and Modern Responsive March here on YoYoExpert. The events are put on by the Boomer Club!

You can find their videos in this forum, or also on Youtube at https://youtube.com/@YoYoBoomerClub?si=8kPkHG1-hjha4ba6

Then you can play with us all next year when these events come up again!

Right now is 2April, and next month is 5A May, if you are interested.

Bonus: This video below has some neat picrure tricks you can try too. Not as challenging, but picture tricks can be fun in their own regard especially if you are showing them to like kids or someone that asks you to show them a trick when all you have is a responsive lol.

4 Likes

Oh no. You threw your responsive yoyos in the trash?

2 Likes

No no no - that would be a total waste. I feed them to my rabbit.

Seriously though, I would eventually be interested in some 2A. Just after I try more 1A, 5A, and 4A.

3 Likes