What thread should I use?

So I am just starting making string. All I have so far is old spun polly from my craft room. So I was wondering what time of thread I should buy next?

2 Likes

Also when I make strings after about ten minutes the bottom starts falling apart.

2 Likes

Trilobal polyester and treated/wooly nylon would be my suggestions.

3 Likes

I really like maxi-lock serger polyester. It comes in some bright neon colors, and you can make strings that sort of resemble bulk strings (if you like).

You can blend it with maxi-lock stretch nylon to add a bit of slickness, bounce, and longevity.

What do you mean, exactly? Can you post a photo?

2 Likes

@MarkD This is a great recommendation. You’ll most likely have to hunt it down on line, although some sewing supply stores do carry it.

Been spinning my own string, as it pretty fun and get to try different stuff. Problems I’m finding are that all the polyester thread I’ve tried from Joanne’s is very course compared to the bought string I’ve used. Got a couple packs of ziplines and they were very soft feeling.

Other thing is the wooly nylon. Order some YLI wooly nylon, as I’ve read it’s supposed to be the “go to” nylon. This stuff is like my throw is on a trampoline. Very awkward feel. Soft, but crazy bouncy. Any tips or suggestions?

Also tried bulky nylon. Stout string, whips like a beast. It’s decent but not in love with it.

Would like to know what poly thread would yield a nice soft string, comparable to the manufacturer strings that are sold professionally, and how to properly spin up wooly nylon.
Thanks!

1 Like

MaxiLock Serger polyester is an excellent polyester.

MaxiLock STRETCH nylon is an excellent happy medium between wooly and bulky. I especially like it blended with Coats and Clark trilobal (embroidery) polyester.

Trilobal isn’t very great by itself though. I only like it blended with nylon.

2 Likes

Thanks @smileypants707. I’ll give em a try!

1 Like