What Star Wars fans are loving the new mandalorian

I still have not gotten to watch it ( im just waiting for my younger siblings to not be in the house so I can watch it) As a huge Star Wars fan and having the mandalorians being my favorite character/gang from the whole series it is killing me that I have not watch mandalorian yet

8 Likes

i’ve seen an episode or two and i don’t know what to think of it lol

4 Likes

It’s freaking awesome!

I don’t know how much you know about the show…so I wont spoil it…but there’s a little character in it that I was geeking out about so hard! lol

5 Likes

I have heard Yoda was in it that’s all I know

3 Likes

Is this a euphemism? :rofl:

4 Likes

:sweat_smile: :rofl:

It’s Yoda…and omg omg omg! :green_heart: lol cutest thing ever!

2 Likes

Overall I’m liking it. It feels very Disney-fied, which I’m still coming to terms with, but IMO it’s the best Star Wars media since Rogue One.

Makes me miss the old EU days. The book I’m reading hasn’t been holding my attention; maybe I should reread Wraith Squadron or finally read Republic Commando…

4 Likes

He may be green, but this series takes place after ROTJ, so unless we have some crazy reincarnation thing happening. It is the third canon reference to whatever Yoda is/was, but not Yoda.

Edit: also I think they say he is 50 years old, so is that preincarnation?

Either way, I really like the series so far. As someone who became interested in Star Wars thanks to Episode 1 (don’t hate, I was 13), I don’t mind the CGI stuff in the films but this one feels more like a throwback than the recent movies.

5 Likes

I’m really enjoying it. I love the fact that Jon Favreau seems to have taken inspiration from some of the same Japanese influences of the Original Trilogy. Lucas treated episode iv as an homage to Kurosawa’s Hidden Fortress. Mandalorian feels like it comes straight out of the Lone Wolf and Cob manga series. And the newest episode was basically a nod to Seven Samurai.

Beyond all that though, I really just like the characters, the story, and the mythological feel. It depends and broadens the Star Wars universe in a way that I hoped for but certainly wasn’t expecting.

5 Likes

Mesa think yousa okay, if yousa like episode 1 yousa do yousa

3 Likes

Yeah I think people are calling him “baby Yoda” just because he’s of the same species and a Force user. They don’t say anything regarding reincarnation or anything else to that effect in the series, I don’t believe (though I still need to watch the latest one).

In the old EU, Yoda’s species were pretty attuned with the Light side, and the only other members mentioned in either Canon or EU/Legends were Jedi (Yoda and Yaddle). It could just be that the First Order (or Galactic remnants? Are they doing that in canon these days?) are interested in him for his latent Force powers and the species’ extreme rarity.

1 Like

If I told you 15 years ago that Jon Favreau of all people would be one of the most important people in shaping current film and TV, what would you have said?

3 Likes

I’d have asked you “Wait… who’s the president?” :wink:

2 Likes

Touché

1 Like

I was gonna throw some shade regarding The Mandalorian feeling like it’s designed to sell toys (and let’s face it, it’s Disney so ofc it is) but I was a kid when the original trilogy was re-released and there was definitely a flood of merch then too. What’s awesome to me is that The Mandalorian seems to be appealing to both new fans and old alike and given how polarizing the new stuff has been, that’s a pretty damn impressive achievement.

2 Likes

lol to be honest…I really have no idea what I’m talking about.
I love Star Wars…but like with a lot of things, I’m really not very knowledgeable about it. Seems like there’s quite a few people who are super into the lore of Star Wars here though! That’s awesome! :smiley:

2 Likes

hopefully ill be able to watch the first episode today

3 Likes

The first episode is probably the weakest so far but it just gets better and better from there.

1 Like

As a long-time Star Wars fan I am LOVING the Mandalorian. It’s got a great mix of spaghetti western cowboy, Kurosawa samurai, prequel CGI wonkiness and OT practical effect magic. A great score that emulates Williams while bringing something new to the table with the western guitar/flute vibe. And a main performance that is killing it behind full helmet.

To clarify the Child - this is set 5 years after the events of ROTJ. Yoda has passed and remember that he was 900 years old at the time. The Child, being 50 years old at the time of this story, would have been around age 45 at Yoda’s passing.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!

Of note is that the scientist bears the emblem of Kamino on a patch on his arm and they were looking to extract something from the Child. Methinks we’re firmly back in the realm of mitichlorians and a dying Empires last grasp at a chance to make a force-user of their own…

3 Likes

That “Love & Sex” is a highly underrated film :slight_smile: