What shall the next Spinworthy John Smith be?

Kind of a cool idea.

2 Likes

Would making them slimmer make them take longer to make? I just think that this shape is what this model is.

And others as well. We are seeing a lot of variety with wood yoyos right now!

I get what you’re saying, but I have so many Spinworthys, and I can’t say that I dislike any of them, because I thought the wood was a mismatch to the design. Sure, I like some more than others, but none of them play poorly. They all are really quite excellent! If any did play poorly, I’d never know it, because Glen would never send it to me!

This is actually just it. They are two totally different materials. With metal, you get to know so many things to exact specifications, right from the CAD. Wood just isn’t like that, because as you pointed out the different woods vary so much, or even within the same species, and maybe even within the same tree! It takes much more trial and error, and building off of previous designs. I say these things as if I know first hand. I admit I don’t. It’s just what I surmise. Someone with direct experience can correct me if I’m wrong.

I don’t really understand what you mean here? This has definitely been done. Ask Glen to spin you up a Walnut Harbinger. I bet a light wood John Smith would fit the bill as well. I see you voted for that…

3 Likes

I was just taking a big picture view of yoyo innovation, I wasn’t saying woodworkers were just neanderthal morons making circle shaped throw objects. Lots of focus has been thrown into metal yoyo innovation for decades now, and they are still searching the spectrum for better yoyos. All I was suggesting is that wood doesn’t get the same affection, and is therefore ripe for innovation. And imo you have done so with the KNack, that thing is a monster. It was kind of OT, so sorry for that, but I think that you should also consider the qualities of your best yoyos in the design of your budget yoyo.

Do you have any of the same throws in different woods? Id agree that none of them play even close to poorly, but there is something about a matched wood weight and a particular design that just really has magic. I think that way with my beech KNack, spectra Bloodcell, and white oak Harbinger. I kind of took the idea of ‘pick a wood and design around it’ idea to heart, which I know these guys are already doing. But id love to see something like Spinworthy’s white oak yoyo, or purpleheart, or whatever wood you like best. Just a cool idea, thats all.

I was referring to what you would want a budget fixie to be able to do. Make it versatile for modern 0A. A well rounded capable throw that can do what people are doing today. Im betting a light John Smith would be good, and I already got a 50g one coming eventually (international shipping post-COVID). Point is, he has tweaked the Harbinger, why just assume the John Smith is a non-malleable design concept?

3 Likes

…Caveman Go? :joy:

7 Likes

I agree that wood is ripe for innovation, but I just don’t think there is a lack of affection, or effort, or striving for perfection. We’re seeing so much innovation with wood yoyos. I feel you’re stuck on how things are done with metal; which in large part is just not applicable to wood. It’s happening the way it should IMO, and if anything there’s more affection, as it’s more of a crafting and hands-on experience.

With CAD use for metal designs, a large portion of what you get is the ability to play with the weight distribution. With wood fixed axles, that’s in large part a non-issue. Solid wood is already pretty much optimized for weight distribution for fixed axle yoyos. That leaves shape, size, wood choices, construction, and response. Those things are more practically developed in the ways they currently are.

I do understand what you’re saying about wood trailing behind metal, but I think development is happening, and happening at the pace and in the way it needs to, though perhaps it’s hampered by the expense and relative lack of popularity the category has.

Is this an assumption? How did you come to the conclusion that Glen didn’t consider the qualities of his best designs with the John Smith?

Yes, I have walnut, oak, and merbau Harbingers; which is why I said it was a design that played well with various wood species. I also have hickory and beech Ballsys; which also both play beautifully.

The Burly is an example of this I believe. I love mine so much!

Again, careful with assumptions. Seems to me Glen is always tweaking his designs.

1 Like

Nah, im not suggesting that woodmakers should start doing detailed CAD drawings and calculations; that would be entirely irrelevant for a material as amorphous in specs as wood. Actually you are right, wood yoyos have definitely been coming a long way lately. I think I got talked into a hole, all I was trying to say is that I like the idea of a budget yoyo, and suggested leaning towards what his more ‘flagship’ models are good at. Not saying he didn’t do that (he suggests that he has, after me bringing it up), it was just advice on a topic in a forum.

I was kind of just thinking alout. I guess it was more of a question than anything.

Which one is your favorite?

Got it. You weren’t making assumptions, just saying that being a budget model, shouldn’t preclude it from good thoughtful design, and further development.

My favorite is the Hickory Ballsy; which probably wouldn’t be most people’s favorite, including you! I really like the Burly, and the Walnut Harbinger. Haven’t gotten as much time in on it, but the Tiger Wood KNack is really nice. My Wenge Boon I was a bit “meh” about at first, but then grew to love it. Really they are all great, and it depends on what mood I’m in.

3 Likes

Sorry if I sounded like an ■■■, but that’s about it. I didn’t intend to come across as snide or condescending, but I guess it could be read that way.

What makes you like the hickory Ballsy so much? What kind of tricks are you doing?

2 Likes

I think I just read it wrong.

I think sometimes I get hung up on what a yoyo can’t do compared to what it can. Or, if I have a yoyo that can do a lot of things, I might tend to prefer it over other yoyos. I think a lot of other players are better at playing to a yoyo’s strengths. Not that I don’t do that too, or at least like to change things up, but my Favorites are often yoyos that are multi-capable.

I’ve gotten better about it, but my goal used to be to find one yoyo that did everything. Maybe getting back into fixed axle and responsive yoyoing has helped me get out of that mindset, somewhat.

Anyway, the Ballsy just allows me to do so much with 1A, that I can’t do on other fixed axle yoyos, and I can get more reps in of repeaters; more Boingys, more Mach 5s, more Sea Sick reps, etc… It may not be as easy to do the 0a stuff, but I can do everything I do on any other fixie on it.

Also, it just feels so powerful! It just makes me happy throwing it hard.

2 Likes

My powerhouse atm is a purpleheart Irving, but it probably isn’t half as powerful as that. When it gets to that point in sleep time for me, im ready to upgrade to metal responsive (Recess/Zeekio Quiz, Doc Pop Weekender, Luftverk Daytona SB Slimline, RSO Silver Bullet, etc). I absolutely love yoyos in that class. Ive honestly never had a wood yoyo with that power. I feel like it might break a cotton string rather quickly, but it sounds fun.

3 Likes

Have you guys tried his bearing models?? Hey Glen maybe a wooden bearing butterfly? I’d buy that for a dollar!

2 Likes