What’s the hardest learning curve for a beginner trick?

Seasick is the correct answer.

8 Likes

I can’t see beef hook happening for me in the near future. Its probably not in my skill range but trying to spot the slack like I need and direct it is just too quick. Suggestions?

3 Likes

Yeah I have a suggestion for you, just give up while you’re ahead. That Trick will make you lose your mind. Or you could just convince yourself that the brother mount is actually beef hook.

Or you could just put your yoyo on a shelf and contemplate why it is you throw them in the first place.

Lol, that trick is the bane of my yoyo existence

7 Likes

Hahah I knew someone would say something exactly like that! I’ve only been working on it for a week and now I understand why it’s like that… I see what needs to happen but it’s crazy what that trick consists of and how much that slack needs to move around.

1 Like

The worst part is, it’s not even that spectacular looking once you get it down. It’s a very underwhelming looking trick for how complicated it is.

1 Like

The beef hook looks like the stuff out of nightmares to learn.

When I picked up yoyo again last year, I told myself that I was only get good enough to throw a combo or two that looked good. I knew that I was never going to compete, nor do I have the time to put in thousands of hours in order to become really good. I have since become a bit more ambitious (can already throw a few good looking combos), but I think extremely high precision tricks that require numerous hours of practice a day to achieve are going to just remain outside of my trick repertoire.

Heck, im still having problems with the magic drop. I can get it, sometimes 50/50 after im warmed up, but it almost seems like luck. Anybody have suggestions on how to split the string? I am trying to forward curl my non-throw pointer finger to widen the gap, but it still seems like im just landing on both strings.

Learning boingy boing still might be worth looking into as you’ll have a better redirect on tricks that have them. You can also do a boingy from the side in a trapeze, wrist mount, etc.

Magic drop just takes practice. It’s hard to explain the subtle motor skills necessary to make it smooth. If you can do the actual rejection, just keep doing that until it is consistent and then by that time you should be able to land the the yo-yo precisely where you want it.

1 Like

^ I feel this way about a lot of meta tricks

1 Like

Yea, I should probably get over my front style aversion. Thanks for the suggestion!

Yea, I get the string rejection consistently, but I just seem to always land double stringed. Guess ill just keep doing it repeatedly until it clicks. Im going to have to admit that this is definitely the hardest trick to learn so far, and gets my vote for the first big “wall” trick ive encountered. Everything else took me at most a few hours to learn, and a day or two to start landing consistently (albeit maybe sketchy e.g. kwyjibo).

Dang, all you folks nominating spirit bomb as a beginner trick… I think once you’re working on wrist mount tricks you’re not really a beginner any more.

6 Likes

Yeah, well, all the tricks on the YYE trick ladder appear to be regarded as beginner tricks nowadays, so… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

So would that be the point in which you are no longer beginner, or does it occur before that? Because quite honestly I still consider myself a beginner, and just today I learned the wrist mount and am going to attempt spirit bomb. I guess realistically I could call myself an intermediate learner by now, and most of the guys on the forum as advanced. And then the next tier up is professional, and those are the guys that participate in the contests or have the ability to do so.

It seems like the community has divided itself into only two categories: contest participants and beginners. Oy veh.

3 Likes

Has it though?

2 Likes

Yuuki slack

3 Likes

Good point!

For a while I kept worrying what stage I was at but the more time has gone on the more I realise that I enjoy playing with a yoyo very much indeed and that is all that matters. Any progress I make is for myself

1 Like

Personally I don’t think it has. It is kind of hard to judge what is still beginner though, since most people’s exposure to anything yoyo is vids of people doing crazy tricks. The yoyo community is comprised largely of old-hats who have been throwing down for years, and it just feels like everyone is better than you. Much better. It doesnt bother me or anything, but it also makes me think im still a beginner, when rightfully ive put in enough practice and am good enough to say that im not. I also don’t think it is right to say that you are “advanced” just because you can land kwyjibo (it’s probably an intermediate trick, because beginners need to know several pre-requisite “beginner” tricks in order to do it).

I know how zslane feels, but quite honestly most people in the yoyo community are just people who have stuck with it and have not quit. Beginners either morph into better players or leave, so the majority of what you see are really skilled players.

1 Like

It’s like yoyo Middle Earth. The bottom layer is your total n00b, the middle layer is your intermediate player who decided not to quit when they realized that it was a little bit more difficult than it looked, and the top layer are your professionals / masters who have put in the time and discipline necessary to be completely proficient with their skill set.

I’d say for the most part, the vast majority of the community is comprised of people in Middle Earth. Just because you know some advanced tricks doesn’t automatically make you a master. And just because you are not completely proficient doesn’t make you a noob.

3 Likes

It really is like playing a musical instrument in that it’s better to play something simpler and well, than take on something too hard and make a muck of it.

1 Like