What’s a popular yoyo you dislike?

Yeah it’s good for horizontal

3 Likes

The ones that come to mind have already been mentioned.

One Drop M1 (~$50 made in USA budget monometal) came out 5 years before the Shutter even existed, so who really single handedly brought that category to existence?

Same here. As much as I wanted to love it, I just couldn’t get over the response bump which is unfortunately present on pretty much all Atmos yo-yos. But I think you might like the MCMO/MC though, the response bump is hardly noticeable in it and it’s one of my favorite organics.

Big agree. I know it’s basically G2’s most popular model, but it just never gelled with me, whether the OG, TiShee, B18, AL7 B18, BansheeSS, or BansheeSS Brass; the Minishee is nice though, probably my favorite version of them all. The upcoming Patreon shipment from November is an AL7 Brass BansheeSS, will be interesting to try but I doubt an even heavier version will change my opinion. It’ll also be interesting to see how the B’22 changes things up.

5 Likes

The answer to your question is the shutter.

Many online shopping stores existed before Amazon and EBay.

7 Likes

Most of the widening of yoyos trend. That 41-43 is where I like them but they seem to keep getting wider :joy: the clyw manatee is my main exception.

6 Likes

I’d agree with many and say the shutter. It didnt click with me. The tishutter was tons of fun though. If I remember right the too hot came out around the same time as the shutter at the same price point. That felt much more my speed.

3 Likes

I liked to the Toohot better than the shutter as well, to be honest.

Both are really good yoyos though.

4 Likes

I mean, you’re entitled to your opinion, but it’s just factually incorrect. The budget monometal category didn’t even exist before the M1, ipso facto, it created the category.

6 Likes

You might be able to tell that’s not the point I’m trying to make though.

What I’m saying is the shutter was the yo-yo that really made the competitive price point for a performance monometal to be $50. The M1 did not do that.

7 Likes

I understand what you’re saying but it is still simply incorrect. The M1 shattered the price floor for a solid performing budget monometal to $50 in 2008. Thus we saw YoYoFactory bring out a line of yo-yos based on a similar idea around 2009-2011, the “Fundametal” series, for a bit more at $65.

If you want to move the goalposts to “signature performance budget monometal”, then sure, the Shutter fits that; I can’t recall any signature monometal yo-yos selling for ~$50 until the Shutter, though the Yuuksta came close at $65 in 2010.

But without the M1 setting the price floor of what a precision machined high performing monometal could be, the Shutter-as-a-budget-throw would not exist.

13 Likes

As I said, I’m not trying to argue that the shutter was the first monometal to be $50.

I’m saying it’s the yo-yo that made that an established category. The one that changed the market.

I’m sure I could find some obscure yo-yo before the m1 that was cheap too. But that does not mean it changed the yo-yo world much at all.

What I am about to outline is factually correct.

I started yoyoing in 2013 (well after the m1). The standard for a high performance monometal was $80 or more. Often $100.

The after the shutter came out, and sold massive numbers in the summer of 2014, more and more companies started cutting their monometal prices in half to be competitive with Yoyofactory. This trend continued until today, where the vast majority of monometals are $50 or less from established yo-yo brands.

This is what I am arguing. These are facts. It’s quite objective.
I don’t think you would try and argue with this, so I think we’re mostly on same page here. And by the same token, I am not going to try and argue that a yo-yo callled the m1 did not come out in 2008 for $50.

Because that would be weird.

10 Likes

Good times. My first unresponsive metal. Still have blue with white splash. Bearing broke and was eventually replaced but geeze. I appreciate silent threads. This thing screamed every time I unscrewed it.

6 Likes

And you can say that, but it’s wrong because the M1 is what changed the market; while the Shutter may have cemented the category in the market, the M1 blazed the trail that the Shutter ran on five years later. Just because it was well before your time doesn’t make the M1 some “obscure yo-yo that was cheap”. It was a high quality, high performing mainstream release with a large run by a well-established but relatively new to the scene manufacturer, priced well below other yo-yos at the time, and lowered the price floor for what a high-quality budget monometal could sell for even with the increased costs of USA manufacturing. It was a big deal which you might not understand because you weren’t around then.

All I’m really trying to say is you can’t ignore the history of what lead up to the Shutter as if it was created in a vacuum. If the M1 hadn’t paved the way in establishing the budget monometal market segment, we wouldn’t have seen the YYF $65 Fundametal series that lead to the Shutter’s pricing. Thus, the M1 must have created and established the budget monometal category because without it we likely would not have seen monometal yoyo prices fall like they did at the time.

12 Likes

Look, I see what you’re saying. I understand the point you’re making.

But I don’t think the facts that you bring up are sufficient as to warrant saying “I’m incorrect”.

At the point we’re talking pretty small points here, and we’re in agreement on the majority of the facts (despite the sentence of yours I have quoted above).

I think I’m going to leave off on this discussion, and let the thread continue on its original topic. We’re not going to agree on this one, and that’s ok! It happens.

I can totally see where you’re coming from.

Go throw your favorite organic yo-yo, I’ll get out my old shutter :wink:

4 Likes

I was there when One drop met with Patrick from the Nation with there new device, it was all hush hush, so secret that they gave me one to shut me up because I was there. Good times. The M1 started the budget wars. That’s all I have to say.

18 Likes

Just like me, Nightshadow does love to stir the pot.

The M1 is the yo-yo that defined the low-cost metal category. When the M1 came out, there were no cheap metal yo-yo’s. Certain manufacturers were outraged that OneDrop would price their throws so low. Some even threatened to pull their brand from certain retailers if they carried the M1. The fact that the Shutter is made by one of the most vocal complainers at the time; is ironic at best.

20 Likes

Haha, I prefer to think of it as spirited discussion.

Read my eBay/Amazon analogy again. I think that sums up what I’m trying to say well. Who does it first doesn’t always have the biggest impact.

And I didn’t know that about yyf being upset. Pretty interesting.
Although I think it was mainly Gentry’s idea to have the shutter at its price point, not necessarily the same person who was complaining about the m1. But I could be wrong.

5 Likes

You are confusing timelines.

6 Likes

I don’t think so. I know gentry had barely started yoyoing when the m1 came out.

I was just referring to you mentioning that yyf complained about the m1 so it was ironic that they made the shutter at a similarly low price.

I thought it was largely Gentry’s idea to have the shutter at $50, so it might not be like the exact same person complained about the m1, and then priced the shutter at $50.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

3 Likes

The two point of view that are currently being explored are been there through the entirety of the timeline and joined halfway through the timeline. It’s interesting for me to see how these two similar views diverge.

5 Likes

Maybe you are. Maybe you’re right. Or maybe this is all just a waste of time.

14 Likes