What materials can you use to make spin top string?

I’m going to be picking up some size 10 crochet thread to make some spin top strings, but I am curious if anyone has experimented with other materials. I’m sure yarn wouldn’t do so well due to how fuzzy it is but I have a ton on hand already and am going to see if I can make it work.

Has anyone else made good string out of anything other than crochet thread?

You really should check out: http://www.ta0.com/forum/

Chris Neff, could help you if he pops over, but that forum has a whole community of top throwers.

1 Like

Sorry, I know this is like, really old, but…

Bamboo thread is interesting. It is a little better in humid situations but it is very limp. I used to make and sell bamboo spin top string but it just doesn’t appeal to me anymore.

Vinyl and Polyester don’t seem to be available in a thickness like crochet thread, but you can still make spin top sized string with LOTS of regular sewing thread (harder to keep your strands even though). In my experience, Vinyl is slick and heavy, and Polyester is slick and light.

For thicker rope for larger tops I have tried every type of yarn or string I can find, with little success. There is a smooth cotton that is much thicker than crochet thread but it is hard to find. Anything that is loosely wound (has visible fibers running off in different directions) will snag. Regular cotton gets too heavy quick. Hard to get the bulk with out a bunch of weight. Polyester might work for this but again hard to find in a descent thickness that isn’t all hairy.

That’s my two cents on string materialses.

4 Likes

Whats up Chris it’s Luke man hope all is well! And I have been on an adventure to make the perfect High Friction Spin Top String and I think I’m onto something! Handy Hands thread shop (On amazon) makes Egyptian cotton number 10 crochet thread, Its lustrous and High strength. But most of all its HEAVY so it makes string play so much easier lol. I use about 175 ft of it to twist a 77" string and @Larry_D I got one headed your way man I hope you enjoy it! Thanks again for the amazing tops for my kids!