What makes a good competition yoyo ?

So what does everyone look for when choosing their competition yo-yo ?

I look for a:

1)Low Wall
2)Wide Profile
3)V or H Shape
4) KonKave Bearing

What do you guys use as your weapon of choice :wink: ?

1 Like

Thanks, you just helped me decide which yoyo to get, Iā€™m going to a contest in less than 2 weeks.

Your 4 criteria plus a nice open cup because finger spins are fun :wink:

Yuki

My criteria:

1. Itā€™s a yoyo
  2. It spins

Jk. I would probably look for something that spins as long as possible.

1)H shape
2)can finger spin
3)blasted finish(or any finish that have awsome grinds)
4)can horizontal well
5)cheap
6)wide
7)metal
8)unresponsiveā€¦

I prefer a yoyo with some ā€œauthorityā€ to it.

sorry for two posts on this thread, but I figured I would elaborate. Some yoyos can be amazing for different things. For example, I would love to throw a Summit around when I just feel like a chill throwing mood, and a code 2 to rock the stage.

Yea I definitely agree, there are some days where you would rather rock something a little more fun feeling and less competition worthy.

Anything made by spin dynamics

Clyw arctic circle

I like really wide yoyos as it is, so the fact that itā€™s good for competition yoyos is just a bonus. I usually prefer a V shape andā€¦ Thatā€™s good for competitions too.

Basically my ideal yoyo that I love to throw is the one thatā€™s perfect for competition.

Wide
Stable
Full sized
Generally V shaped, there are some exceptions.
Additionally being blasted is nice.

For me itā€™s

1. Low walls are a must for me I just like them
  2. Has to be stable
  3. Needs to be metal for obvious reasons

I donā€™t really have and preferences for width or diameter yet because I havenā€™t really played around with Yoyo shapes and sizes.

For me I seem to like low wall stuff that are stable enough to ensure long spins but fast enough to burn through combos in a moderate speed. Metal is also preferable because Iā€™ve yet to try a plastic that i can rely on even when my combos are mildly sloppy.

I disagree with the KK bearing. For one, you can put one in any yoyo so that shouldnā€™t sway your decision. And even so, developing a good straight throw will keep the string centered better than a KK ever will.

I would bet a considerable amount that youā€™re basing this on popular opinion, not fact. Iā€™ve been throwing longer than like 90% of the people in this forum, by this time I have a pretty well developed throw. As straight as my throws are, half the time my string is not perfectly centered. For the type of style I have, this doesnā€™t really hurt. However, I know for fact that a concave bearing will keep your string centered ALL the time, not just sometimes depending on your luck. There IS a reason they are stock in a ton of top company brands.

TL;DR
Although the bearing isnā€™t life or death, concaves WILL center the string a lot better. In my opinion the best type is the shape of the center tracā€™s.

I prefer more h shaped throws that are floaty like the ac2 or chief but I do also really like my werrd treā€™s smoothness even though i donā€™t gravitate towards v shaped otherwise I have no other preference

-Dylan