What made you want to be a good yoyoer?

I don’t think I ever wanted to be a “good” yoyoer. I just wanted to yoyo one day, and then I wanted to yoyo again the next.

Heh heh bro, I was kidding. If you don’t want me to, its fine.

My brother and watching Mickey’s 2005 worlds freestyle.

Question: Does you living in Chico have any influence on starting yoyoing? You’re basically living where every yoyoer wants to be, and I assume you see quite a few throwers, so I was wondering if that had anything to do with it.

Ya it did. When I first saw gentry I thought he was amazing, then I read about him and it said he was from Chico. I flipped out. Haha, I also go to the bird in hand club. I go every week and meet friends and throw. Its really fun to see other throwers than you guys (yup haha). I haven’t been to nationals, so I can’t really talk about that. Its cool.

You guys should come to Chico yoyo club thingy!!!¡!!!¡!!!

Edit: oh ya, I wish I new about the club and shop when I started, but I didn’t know till I was almost through intermediate :-/

Spending time and money on something and being really bad at it isn’t very fun. That said, despite how long I have played with yoyos, I am probably the most novice thrower who has posted in this thread (or maybe I overestimate the average skill level or underestimate my own). I still enjoy it and am obviously always trying to improve when I do have time to throw though.

Because 2A is a dying style and I want to bring it back.

The boom in 97-98. Working as a camp counselor I used a purple Fireball and then a glow THP raider to try and keep up with the crazy tricks my kids were learning. Still remember learning Hydrogen Bomb, which I was SURE was as complicated as a trick could get. Stagnated for a few years…

And then…

I had played with yo-yo’s way before this, but I’ve played every day since seeing it.

While we’re at it, it was the Diss Kings ‘Shut Up’ video that first made me want to do more with less. That, along with Steve Brown, is why I started working on fixed axle.
http://www.disskings.com/video.html

I started yoyoing after getting a cheap duncan from wall-mart. It came with a trick CD with instructions and a yoyo clip video staring Steve Brown. Watching Steve play made me want to learn to yoyo like him, and it really pushed me to be the best. Thanks Steve :slight_smile:

I saw a Duncan Butterfly at Walmart and bought it. That made me remember being in elementary school and not having the money to buy the “good” yoyos that these guys who came and put on a show for out school were selling. So I went home and searched Youtube. I saw this german kid with a curly afro type haircut doing 5A and I was blown away. I had no idea there were different styles. Then I saw Hiroyuki Suzuki’s 2012 Worlds winning freestyle and that’s when I decided to buy a Dark Magic II.

I saw the promo video for the dv888.

Michael Nakamura, or zach gormleys the worlds best yoyo kid video