What lube should i get, just returned to yoying after 7-8 years

Hey I just started throwing again after almost 8 years and have no idea what lube I should get, or what bearings are top tier. Im sure people have preferences but if you could point me in the right direction id really appreciate it!

You should get the One Drop V4M lube. One of the best out on the market and the bottle design makes it ever so simple to apply just the right amount of lube, which is one drop (pun intended).

As for bearings, most people here agree that the YoYoRecreation DS Platinum Bearing is the best one out there.

Here’s a thread with all the votes for the best bearings

4 Likes

awesome thank you🙏 exactly what i needed to know

1 Like

You’re welcome!

I can’t second @Hanker’s choices enough. I’ve used pretty much everything and the OD lube/DS bearing combo is THE BEST.

4 Likes

Ds bearings are great, but I am anti-lube.

1 Like

@Chriscatastrophe Don’t you need lube for the yoyo to work. How do you make sure your bearings doesn’t seize without lube?

@MarioMaker17 I’ve never had a problem. I’ve had plenty of yo-yo bearings that I have run dry with no problems. Lube ks awesome when you get it perfect but in all honesty I’m at the point where it is not worth the hassle. Most bearings come lubed and i have found that to be more than enough.

4 Likes

Welcome back!!

i’m with @Chriscatastrophe on the lube topic. i throw all my 1A/5A unresponsives with no lube. clean & dry is all i do. any lube added will add responsiveness to the bearing. a very small amount is all that’s needed if you do want to lube them.

as far as the bearing seizing up? not likely. they aren’t subject to heavy loads or high temperatures that would lead to such an outcome. the only issues i’ve had is when foreign material like dust or string lint gets into the bearing race. this typically causes a “notchy” feeling or shorter than expected spin times that feel rough. if this occurs, i give them a bath in mineral spirits, dry them off and re-install. typically with no lube.

welcome back.

enjoy the throw my friends.
kgb

3 Likes

I’ve been using the same bottle of lube I got from Yo Tricks for a few years now and it seems to work just fine and literally will last my entire lifetime. I’m pretty sure it’s just rebranded YYF lube.

I’ve been meaning to try some V4M because the applicator tip seems useful. I wonder if the actual lube is any different between brands though. I’d assume it’s all basically the same stuff?

The yoyorecreation DS bearings are made by NSK Japan and are dry. They are designed to run dry with no lube.

2 Likes

Just a little word of caution. If you buy the Lube direct from OD, you still get it in the old bottles with no tip. No biggie for me, since I’ve been doing it this way for years now - just wanted to give people a heads up if they buy direct then go “where’s the tip!?”

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

i use yyf thin lube for full unresponsive, and have their thick lube which is kinda better for longer lasting semi responsive in my opinion, but if you’re going very responsive try the traxxis silicone grease.

Run bearings dry

I prefer VIP, DS, or CT bearings

1 Like