What kind of string do you recommend for 4A?

So I have been getting into 4A lately, and I figured that polyester isn’t my favorite type of string, so what are your recommendations? I usually use nylon for my 1A, is it good for 4A? Thanks

3 Likes

you can use it but I prefer poly

1 Like

HKMT has a new string called “off string string”. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m ordering a pack soon, only available on rewind right now. Usually I use thinner string to prevent snags, I’ll tell you right now kitty fat is not a good idea for 4a😂

1 Like

Rei Iwakura uses Kitty Fat believe it or not. He has used it to win his 7 world titles, though obviously it is all about the player’s skill level.

His recommend setup for Soloham is Kitty fat for the main 4a yoyo that you throw first, then kitty normal (which is the longer one) for the second 4a yoyo.
Kitty normal, being thinner (normal size) helps minimize string rub against the response pads, helping the 2 yoyos spin longer during Soloham execution.

3 Likes

I have a lot of strings (markmont, Airetics, YYSL, OT, various Kitty poly and nylon). I tried them all and in the end, it kinda goes down to having good technique that prevents snag from happening.

Kitty seem to have a nicer feel (for me) once it has frayed, it produces a nice smooth end on the string - which releases the 4a smoothly. Other strings, like Markmont, has a more durable thread and the end of the string tends to be more blunt than I like.

2 Likes

Huh I didn’t know that. Rei is on another level entirely :joy: I don’t do soloham so my recommendation for thinner string was made with traditional 4a play in mind. And it’s just my personal preference

2 Likes

Thinner string is fine. I tend to play around with different string thickness depending on the width of the 4a… until I got the Flawless where you can use the included spacers to adjust the width. So now I just follow the same config as Rei Iwakura: 85cm Kitty Fat for single 4a play. For Soloham, my second string is a 100cm Kitty Normal. The 2 strings will have a different color so I can easily distinguish them.

Here is the setting he uses when competing in WYYC as well as in Japan Nationals:

3 Likes

Very helpful tutorial for doing soloham (there are 3 parts I think)

5 Likes

That makes sense, my main 4a throw is the another eagle from Japan technology. Its gap is very narrow and high walled. Compared to other throws like the aeronaut, the AE does not get along with kitty fat. Soloham has been on my list of things to try for a while, and it seems to be the new normal as part of a 4a routine. I’ll probably buy another flex and start learning the basics. Thanks for the tutorials!

5 Likes

I would also agree. I would say kitty normal or Sochi normal. Sochi will have just the smallest amount of more length than kitty normal. but either way I would stick with poly. You could do nylon. buy a little 10 pack of each and do your own A/B testing. Cheers!

1 Like

You can use pretty much any thin or normal 1a string, but i would stick to a blend or pure poly, nylon doesnt seem to work to well. Connor (Seals) uses kitty normal i believe.

3 Likes

Common offstring yoyos had a narrower gap so the default string type you will used is the Slim (Thin) or Standard (Normal), whip wise is decent even for a thinner string but some of the Japanese players I’ve talked sometimes they used Fat or XL believe it or not. When I asked Tsubasa Takada what setup did he used for Asia Pacific, he told me that he use kitty XL with his Air spur yoyo for heavier/quick whips.

3 Likes

Pure nylon (going off of string theory) is amazing for offstring, since it has a nice weight while still acting thin, meaning it has really good whips. Its only problem is tension, which doesn’t affect offstring play.

1 Like