What kind of music can you use for a contest? ;)

What kind of music can you use in a contest ???

can It be something you just bought off of I tunes or something or does it have to be royalty free or whatever its called ???

I did one contest and I was not real good then. I did it mostly for the experience of getting up on the stage.

That time I used somthing royalty free.

Just wonderin :wink:

Anything that will fit into the family friendly experience of a yo-yo contest is fine.

1 Like

I saw one video of 2009 worlds that was posted on youtube had the sound cut out of it.

Why then? ???

That was youtube taking the music out. At a contest it doesn’t matter. Just no bad language.

1 Like

I wouldn’t want youtube to take out my music why do they do that? ???

how do you avoid this ???

You would have to use something that they have. Don’t worry about that though.

1 Like

sorry, you mean something that youtube has. how can you tell if they have it

Is it just random who they take the music away from?

They are worried about getting sued by the musician. TIf they don’t have permission to play it then will remove it. Don’t think about that though. There is always vimeo.

1 Like

Yeah, just do something that sounds good and don’t worry about whether Youtube has it or not. But, to see the list, look around for Audioswap on Youtube. I don’t know where it’s at, but I’m sure you can look at it somewhere.

In the end, there is always Vimeo and YoYoVerse.

Of course! You might want to check out yoyoverse.com, it’s one of Chris Allen’s projects to help yo-yoers host their videos, blogs, recordings, etc. It’s a great and lately untapped resource for our community.

As far are youtube goes I’ve found a couple of ways around the music disputes but the most useful one I’ve stumbled across so far is to paste this into the description of your video:

“”“Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for fair use for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.”""

I found it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsVNWpMJ3o0

The video will also show you how to re-enable a song if it’s been shut off :slight_smile:

As far as freestyles go, use what you want, don’t let youtube cramp your style, just make sure your song is family friendly, usually if it can play on the radio it’s safe to use at a contest. My rule is if my grandma can listen to it without freaking out on me its a safe song for a contest :slight_smile: