What is your opinion on the deep state?

Yeah, just pack the bearing with grease or thick lube it really good and it has very nice response.

Okay it out if the box to see how you like semi responsive first, it wasn’t for me, but some enjoy it very much. I just need consistent response.

1 Like

I have a gamer light, i like how responsive that one feels, but its so touchy getting it to sleep takes me a couple tries, thats with it set up with a half spec c, im hoping i find a solid middle ground for string tricks and regens with the ds

2 Likes

I liked the look and the feel, but the response left a lot to be desired for me.

It wasn’t responsive enough for reliable tug returns, but not unresponsive enough for any reasonable amount of string layering…

Even with a concave bearing (which made it almost totally unresponsive) Deep State was still too snaggy for many of my [elementary level] unresponsive tricks.

Maybe there’s some level of skill I’m missing to take advantage of semi-responsive play? Who knows :stuck_out_tongue:

So I sold it a few months back…I’ll pickup my Weekender or RBC for responsive play and a Panorama, Diorama, Bolt, or Sliver for that slimline unresponsive play that I so regularly crave.

4 Likes

If you wanna have a better feel unresponsive, get the thinnest string possible with your concave bearing set up. The rain city skills edition of sochi string is really thin. Helps out a ton with my snaggy throws

1 Like

Hello just got a Deep State and I’m loving it but naturally had to come on here and see what ya’ll are saying.
I got it as a gift (awesome) so when it arrived I cleaned and then thick lubed the bearing, I like the feel of it but…Now I have a few questions.

I see lots of reference to grease no clear answer when I searched so what grease? I have YYJ Thick Lube but not sure of a grease. I do not want to damage my pads if I put some of the wrong stuff and it breaks down fast or something.
@ [bheinz63]you mentioned Rubber Shielded Bearing, this is interesting can you add a little more info to this?
@TheThrowingGnome love those side caps!

so this is my first One Drop do any/all of the side effects work on it? one day wanna get some I’m sure. I like the move tape measure hard and noticed I missed the center dimple like my El Mijo has.

I am loving this yoyo its hard to put down, and I agree easy to carry very pocket friendly.

4 Likes

All OD side effects work.

2 Likes

Thick lube should work. Some people use Vaseline or silicone grease.

1 Like

Oh okay silicone grease is pretty standard thank you

Okay that’s great to hear thank you

1 Like

I actually have completey changed my thoughts on response since my post about rubber shielded bearings packed with grease.

Grease loaded bearings are really good for crazy snappy response, but bad for spin time.

I’ve learned I prefer a non-shielded bearing with 1 drop of thick lube in basically all my responsive throws. Makes it super easy to relube when I need to. I get many, many hours of play before having to relube a yoyo. This results in a response thats less snappy, but still very reliable. Way more spin time and power for a minor drop in response snap, but not much change in response reliability to me is the ideal compromise between spin/response.

7 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to reply I actually do very similar (2 drops)
So that’s great to hear.

2 Likes

Traxxas makes a silicone grease with the number 1647 recommended by @DocPop.

5 Likes

Oh that’s a great help thank you very much I knew I should stay away from Vaseline but I was definitely worried about getting a bad brand of silicone grease

Brand of thick lube or grease doesnt matter really, vaseline isnt bad for bearings.

The whole point of grease or lube is to add enough friction to get the outer race of the bearing to spin, grabbing enough string to hit response pads. Just get something that has the consistency to give the level of response you want. Grease is thicker, and creates a snappy response. Thick lube is less viscous and allows more spin, but response is way less snappy.

An unresponsive yoyo can be made responsive with just enough thin lube, as an extreme example lol

Caps were a happy accident. Tried to make some caps for a Duncan, but they didn’t fit. Just happened to fit the Deep State perfect. :+1:

4 Likes