What is this piece of plastic that came with my top?

What is this piece of plastic that came with a spin top? I figured it was supposed to be used as a stopper to keep the string in your hand, but I’ve just been wrapping the string around my middle finger and just pinching it between my ring and middle finger.

1 Like

Embroidery floss bobbin. My guess is to hold your string or an extra.

1 Like

Yes it is to keep the string in your hand when you throw the top. Also you can wrap the string around it when not playing.

1 Like

Yeah I did think it reminded me of what thread is wrapped around, but didn’t seem like I would really want something besides the top to just wrap the string around.

Does it even matter if I’m comfortable with just warping it around my finger?

Do what works for you, but if you like, you can edit your thread title to add …”that came with my top”. That will get the top answers. :rofl:

2 Likes

What top did you get that with?

2 Likes

I do not know exactly as it was a freebie that came with an order. It is spintastics. The tip is black with a seam, so I assume it is some kind of plastic.

4 Likes

That’s a sidewinder. Nice top!

3 Likes

Looks like an oversized bread twist tie.

There are tricks that use the button, and it makes winding and throwing easier. You may want to find a smaller one, that is kind of large.

1 Like

The portion you told us to wet it , you could FEEL the thought process of making sure you WERENT saying anything “lewd” then just giving up and saying “Just WET it” :joy::joy::joy:

I don’t understand how that will make winding it easier. You don’t use it at all while you wind. I can see how it would make throwing easier.

It makes the wound top easier to deal with. I think that’s what @kevinm meant.

1 Like

It’s easier to deal with the string with a bit of weight on it, also you don’t have to unwrap it from your finger every time. You can certainly throw without using it if that’s what works for you.

1 Like

If I use one I probably won’t use this one at least without making my own pin hole or something in the middle of it. The one from the tutorial video makes much more sense than this thread holder. I’ll just have to use scissors on hobby knife to cut one up as I certainly don’t have a leather punch or 1inch hole punch laying around.

At the moment I spent about 2 hours trying to throw it and best I could do were a few throws where it is basically lying sideways while spinning on the tip. Big scooped it into my hand once, but it was too sideways and just died. One time I thought it was spinning correctly, but it was actually spinning on the flat surface of the top instead of the tip lol.

Its definitely as hard as I thought it looked since top tricks always looked like magic. As a beginner there is a lot of info that seems slightly different in each tutorial and I rarely understand the text explanations about string length and tilting my wrist since most things stress it should point directly up.

1 Like

Getting the hang of tops can be very frustrating, but it’s also very gratifying when you learn to throw a boomerang and start learning tricks.
The yoyofactory short circuit available from YYE is also a great fixed axle top and the string length it comes with is already correct, I don’t like the heavy button it comes with (of course) but they play great with a lighter button and a good string.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. If I can stick with this one a bit I will certainly buy some more just like yoyo lol. I thought about starting to try out spin top around this christmas, so it was a well timed freebie. Perhaps I’ll try the short circuit this holiday even if I don’t spend much time with this spintastics one before then.

1 Like