What is the most powerful yoyo you own?

Mine has an NSK centering, too. I still think the GTX has more power, but the TD is close. It really is a bit of a freak of nature. No other mono I have comes close to the spin times. Oddly, it even outpaces some of the bimetals I have.

3 Likes

I’m always surprised when the Top Deck gets brought up in regard to powerful/heavily rimweighted yoyo designs. Like even just at a glance it feels like it should be apparent that the Top Deck is opting for a rim style intended to make a lighter feeling and more maneuverable yoyo. Yoyos with thin walls that choose to have less dead weight almost always feel better imo, but the Top Deck’s rim design is actively trying to make it feel light/fun/comfortable to play instead of something powerful. Just compare the Top Deck to the Rev. The Rev’s design is even still sacrificing some extra oomph in the feel of the yoyo to just make it a little lighter and more managable, but I’d still say power was clearly the design intent with the Rev. That angle of the rim sloping into the cup is helping to pull the weight back inwards to balance out a more powerful rimweighty feel. This is the logic of any monometal you see that features a stepped rim structure, or has a rim sloping inwards.

This is the same principle for why midrim/inner rim bimetals tend to feel lighter and more agile, and outer rims will feel more brickish/heavy/dense/sluggish/etc. And why bimetals with really wide but thin rims tend to not have the same “heavy” qualities as yoyos with more narrow/thick rims placed just on the outer edge. Those designs are pulling the weight inwards more than keeping it pushed up and out.

This isn’t to criticize the Top Deck even slightly, I think it’s a very good design. I just don’t really think it makes much sense in a conversation about powerful yoyos. Even going by the description of the Top Deck from JT to shed insight onto the original design intent “I wanted the Top Deck to move with ease and grace […] Fast, stable, comfortable.” That’s why the Top Deck has that rim design, it’s not trying to be a powerful yoyo, it’s trying to be a yoyo that feels good to play and is easy/comfortable to move around. That’s kind of the opposite of what I think of when I think of a traditionally “powerful” yoyo.

12 Likes

Anglam 2 has crazy power

2 Likes

I play with both regularly and the weird thing about this is that the Rev 1 actually feels lighter and more maneuverable and Top Deck feels heavier and more powerful to me. I definitely get longer spin times out of the TD too.

1 Like

Seems like for me it’s Ixion followed closely by Fusion brass and Vindicator. I should probably do the math instead of guessing since that is something quantifiable.

2 Likes

See when I read what JT said about it on ODs page that’s what turned me away, now I see everyone saying it plays heavier and more powerful, I’m so confused lol

2 Likes

SF L.

Ok but in all seriousness, outside of the yoyos already mentioned I would add the YYF Essence, and the new Pheasant Monometal from yoyofriends. Would be interested to see if other people find the pheasant monometal as aggressively powerful as I do.

Top Deck doesn’t feel as powerful to me, but it’s definitely there.

2 Likes

Yoyos exist relative to one another, and there’s no universal baseline that everybody agrees upon as the standard. If you mostly play an 80g yoyo, then a 68g yoyo is going to feel like a feather to you.

I still think that nothing about the design intent of the Top Deck is trying to be a powerful yoyo. It’s taking cues from the Summit and Cascade. Even if you want to debate whether the Top Deck or Rev feels more powerful than the other, they’re both going to feel a heck of a lot less powerful than something like a Magnolia or JDS Genesis or something.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to what GT said, the definition of “power”. I feel like it relates to spin time, maybe the heft of the throw and weight on the string—just the potential for movement?

The TD is definitely not a light throw. In fact, it’s very similar to the Grasshopper in how it feels on the string. I think Spence something about that when he got one from the new drop. That said, once I got over my initial disappointment with that, it actually grew on me, and now I pick it up because of its weight and power.

I don’t know all the details about design, but the TD for me is one of my more powerful throws. Really interesting how OD achieved it.

3 Likes

The difference betweem the 67 g Valkyrie and 63.7 g Hydrogen Crash is startlingly different, even. I could only imagine a 68 g would feel nearly nonexistent after getting used to an 80 g

1 Like

All true, I guess ultimately the best way to know if a throw is right for you is to play it yourself. I’ve been on the fence with a few different ODs for about a month now haha

Really? Mine really moves! Changes direction really easily too!

2 Likes

This is the most intriguing part for me, I’m definitely just gonna get one and give it a whirl. Plus that brown colorway is so classy/clean

I feel like everybody who has tried a Kiwi absolutely loves it and sees the light on how good heavy yoyos can be… at least until they try a Collapsar. The Kiwi is great, but in play feel like I can tell how much of the weight is in the walls compared to just the rims. That comment is mostly a direct comparison of the Kiwi in relation to TPs heavyweight bimetals.

I think bimetals or stronger alloys just make a lot more sense when you want to push weights up that high, so more of that extra weight can really be placed in a focused spot on the rims instead of just being spread more evenly throughout the design. Alternatively going bigger in diameter would also allow for more of the weight to proportionally be in the rims while having thinner walls and maintaining the high overall weight.

3 Likes

I don’t have a ton of powerful yoyos, but I think the most powerful in my collection is the Valhalla. very powerful, stable, and plays slower with way more momentum than agility.

2 Likes

I agree on both counts.

1 Like

Yes, I can tell that too. It seems to spin really long despite this.

1 Like

I put a brand new G2 Boss Rage in the Top Deck. It definitely improved the spin time dramatically.

That said, the TD still doesn’t rate for me as particularly powerful or heavy, especially compared to monometals like the ReCognition or Pheasant (even Emotion) that are +/- .5g

I think the weight distribution differences noted by @mable may explain this. The TD is heavy but I find that it doesn’t play with the same presence or momentum that I like in the other three. However, because it doesn’t feel that heavy to me, I am relatively impressed by the spin time. If that is what is going on, I have to give credit to the designers.

1 Like

These are my power houses. The Collapsar takes the cake though.

11 Likes

My most powerful feeling yoyo is probably the new Valkyrie. It has a nice heft to it without feeling like a rock.

Another unusually powerful throw I have is the Tropic Spins Shipwreck. Definitely unique and it’s actually a lot of fun.

2 Likes